This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Come Join Us for THWACKCamp 2018 this Wednesday and Thursday

Hi I am Thomas [Tom] Iannelli (tomiannelli), Information Services Manager at Stanley Consultants, Inc. I have worked in IT for 32 years in various markets at several companies. 20 of these have been as a department manager with teams ranging in size from 3 to 22 direct reports. I now manage the team responsible for the IT Infrastructure - Firewalls, Remote VPN access, Wireless network, Wired Network LAN & WAN, VMWare environment, Windows servers, Active Directory O365, Exchange, Storage Arrays, Backups, and SolarWinds.

I have been a Thwack Community member for 10 years and have attended THWACKCamp all previous 6 years to various degrees, once in person. My favorite moment from past years has been watching members of the community I know participate in the live feeds. It is hard to pick one as every year I learn something from every session that I didn’t know before or gain a new perspective on things I thought I knew well.

This year I am really looking forward to the Monitoring Like a Network Engineer When You're a SysAdminsession with Leon Adato (adatole​, Destiny Bertucci (Dez), and Kevin Sparenberg (KMSigma ). Wednesday, October 17th at 1:00 PM CDT [18:00 UTC] I have been both a system administrator and a network engineer in my career, although I have a strong preference for network engineering. The presenters in this session also have varied experiences and always provide new ways of looking at things I have either forgotten or simply never looked at it that way before. They typically bring a lot of enthusiasm to their talks and I learn something while also being entertained. We are already using SolarWinds packages to monitor much of our infrastructure, NPM, NTA, NCM, SAM, and IPAM. I want to learn some new perspectives on using the tools we already own.

This coming year we are looking to implement DPA and SRM this year and it is going to be interesting to see what the presenters might have up their sleeves to help bridge the gap between the IT silos. Another session that will be helpful to attend for our deployment is “The Seven Samurai of SQL Server Data Protection” on Thursday, October 18th at 12:00 PM CDT [17:00 UTC] with Thomas LaRock (sqlrockstar ) and Karen Lopez (datachick ).

Too often in IT people don’t bother to look at things from another’s perspective. I have struggled with this in managing teams of both system admins and network engineers. This presentation will give system administrators a better feeling for how the network impacts system and application performance and what they might do about it. Have you done something or experienced it from another which helped gain new sights into a different IT role?