cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Chart not er..charting

Morning. 

I made a custom chart in solarwinds as part of a contact for a customer requires us to check and received data from their image scanning environment.  Ideally the chart should look something like this:

pastedImage_1.png

After seeing there was no edit button, I made a call to solarwinds who said that a hotfix would resolve my problem...which didn't resolve my problem.

Their other suggesting was to update our environment to hopefully resolve this issue.  Which we can't do as our old environment is unlicenced/unlicensed.  So after some messing about on the Unix box (weirdos having Unix on there) I kinda worked my way around with the help of the solarwinds SAM team to make another custom chart pointing to the correct pointers.

When I produce the report I get the following:

pastedImage_0.png

Again, having a chat with the SAM team, they have told me that this is a 'bug' within SAM 6.3 and that..dun dun dunnn SAM 6.4 does not fix it.  It might fix it in a much later patch, but for now, it's not working.  Which I can't exactly leave.

From what solarwinds are telling me I need to merge some SQL rows to hopefully make it work.

If anyone has a way of making it work of advice or guidance, that would be wonderful as this is contract dependant.

0 Kudos
8 Replies

Can you send screenshots of the selections for your custom chart?

0 Kudos

Here is the data that I am pulling from.

These were sourced from the SQL table.  Thank you for your assistance.

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos

Can you provide the screenshot of the chart selections also?  I've tested several metrics using the same setup that you have and some of them chart and some do not.  So, I want to make sure I'm going down the right path.

0 Kudos

pastedImage_0.png

As an example - like yourself, I have tried different combinations.  From response times, to stat data, to component uptime.  To different chart type.  All have been futile on my environment.  Apparently Solarwinds attempted this last week and it produced the same error that I did.

0 Kudos

I have played around with this quite a bit and found that the non charting IDs do not have a corresponding response time in the database whereas those that do have a value actual chart.  Can you ensure that your componentID has a corresponding response time?  I used the following query in SWQL studio.

SELECT [data].[Name] AS [Name],[data].[ResponseTime].[ResponseTime] AS [ResponseTime], [data].[componentid] AS [ComponentID]

FROM orion.apm.component AS data

WHERE

([data].[ResponseTime].[ObservationTimestamp] >= ('4/12/2017') and [data].[componentid] = 11826)

0 Kudos

Hello once more.  Sorry it's takes so long to reply - I was away and was catching up yesterday.

I use/import the script into a new SQL query and receive the following error:

pastedImage_0.png

I have tried all of the different group chart data but receive the same error all the way through.

Do I need to do this on the SQL portion and not on the UI portion?

0 Kudos

You have to specify the field you want in the legend also.  You have ID in the group by, but legend is blank.

Slight modification to the script.  I forgot to specify to select the time period so you can tie it to the data series.

SELECT [data].[Name] AS [Name],[data].[ResponseTime].[ResponseTime] AS [ResponseTime], [data].[componentid] AS [ComponentID], [data].[ResponseTime].[ObservationTimestamp]

FROM orion.apm.component AS data

WHERE

([data].[ResponseTime].[ObservationTimestamp] >= ('4/12/2017') and [data].[componentid] = 11826)

0 Kudos

Good morning.  Did you ever come into issues displaying the chart? 
I had found yesterday that it was very sporadic in displaying.  On the rare occasion is would display, but most times it killed my servers resources.  I have spoken to solarwinds about this and they have been made aware of the issue for a while now, but no fix has been made available.

Doing some research on this site revealed a way to schema cache, which I tried, but made no real difference.

I tried different combinations of settings too and haven't managed to find a particular trend that gives me the results that I want.  Which leads me to my next question:  What solarwinds application versions are you using?

Because I have done/doing an upgrade today to NMP 12.1 and SAM 6.4.

0 Kudos