This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Change DNS aliases

FormerMember
FormerMember

Can I get solar winds to change a DNS alias in Active directory based upon a specific set of events or conditions?

I have a collection of applications that use hostnames in combination with database names in order to resolve database connections, problem is that they haven't considered how a failover would work in practice so I want the product to provoke a change in DNS to point the apps at the right place if we get into a failure situation.

Can it be done?

• This is possible. In fact this is precisely how FoE works when failing over. It updates the DNS server hostname to the node that's currently active. You would either need to write your own script (likely in PowerShell or vbscript) or use a 3rd party utility like the one included with FoE to perform the actual DNS update. But the tools for triggering and executing this in an automated fashion are part of the Advanced Alert Manager included in Orion.