This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Caught type error - malformed XML returned as Tomcat server response!

Hi guys

I'm quite new to SAM, I've been trying to attache the "Tomcat Server" Application Monitor to my Apache Tomcat/7.0.54 instance.

When I do and run a test, I get the error message "Caught type error - malformed XML returned as Tomcat server response!". I have checked the output of "myserver/.../" and can confirm that it is returning valid XML.

Please help!

• Few weeks back i have a customer with same issue , I am not sure if you have the same exact issue however i am adding the findings below.

We tried few changes however, responses from that server was very larger than usual and split into smaller chunks. And our Tomcat monitor is currently unable to handle such responses.

We also try configuring other options, like "maxTrailerSize". But it looks like the only way to disable chunked responses is adding a call to "Response::setBufferSize()" directly in Tomcat code that provides the the response.

We have finally created  a Feature request for supporting chunked responses from Tomcat.

Unfortunately, I don't see any easy workaround except for using a Linux Script monitor and writing a new script that would collect the data.

This feature request is still active with the development team .

You might have many Tomcat servers where this script will work and with some it wont work as response received in chunks due to the response size depending on the server case.

if you need more information about this feel free to contact Solarwinds Tech Support

• Hi,

We checked with our developer and found that there is indeed an error in the XML delivery. We put the source code of the page (http://{$IP}:{$PORT}/manager/status/?XML=true) to validate in https://www.xmlvalidation.com/ and there indicated the error.

emoticons_happy.png

• We have our tomcat monitors working on a number of Ubuntu servers. Every once in a while we get the malformed XML returned as Tomcat server response! errors and the applications shows down. If we reboot the server this usually goes away. It randomly returns though and we continue to have to reboot servers to clear this malformed XML error so that the application will show up.