This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Capacity planning

I am very new to the Orion reports and I cannot find the info I need through search.

Basically, I'd like to do a report that shows all my SQL Servers and the capacity forecst for their volumes. Similar to the chart that appears on the node details for disk capacity forecast.

Since I have 290 SQLServer I don't want them all to appear, just say, the top 20 with a forecast of less than 3 months or something like that.

It's getting to the stage where I'm feeling like I should just explore the Solarwinds database and write some SSRS reports.

• Bump!

I would like this too!

Our DBA's are wanting to run a report which details capacity planning for our SQL databases as currently they use various methods which is very time consuming.

It would be good if i could get this from SolarWinds which reports on DB growth and DB anticipated growth based on the trend during monitoring - exactly like how SolarWinds does it for Disk, CPU & Memory forecasting.

Any ideas anybody?

Thanks.

• Try this one, go to the reporting tool and try using the below as a custom SQL data source then build the report as you normally would.

SELECT top 20 *

FROM [dbo].[VolumesForecastCapacity] forecast

join [dbo].[Volumes] vol on vol.volumeid=forecast.instanceid

join [dbo].[Nodes] n on n.nodeid=vol.nodeid

join [dbo].[APM_applications] app on forecast.nodeid=app.nodeid

join [dbo].[APM_SqlBbApplication] sql on sql.applicationid=app.id

where bpeak>0

and DaysToCapacityPeak < 90

order by DaysToCapacityPeak

Because of the way things are joined it will filter the volume forecasts to only include disks that are on nodes that have the appinsight for sql assigned to them.

• Maybe you should add something like

and VolumeType = 'Fixed Disk'

to the "where" clause to avoid showing virtual memory etc.