cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Cannot connect to SSH service. Authentication with the server failed.

Attempting to use SAM to monitor various Linux items and can't connect.  I can log directly into a server through puTTy, but using the same credentials via SAM gets me "Cannot connect to SSH service. Authentication with the server failed."  The default port has not been changed, and I've tested against a server that has none of our extra security precautions in place.

9 Replies
Level 11

Can you log into your server with putty FROM the SolarWinds server?

0 Kudos
Level 16

Yes, I can

0 Kudos
Level 11

I would modify the /etc/ssh/sshd_config file:

LogLevel DEBUG

Then on the ssh server run:

tail -f /var/log/messages

Then try the connection from SolarWinds and it should give you an indication on why it is failing.

Let me know if that helps.

Level 16

thanks for the detail... in my case it was user permission issue so didnt have to try the commands u mentioned but will note it for future use...

0 Kudos
Level 10

May I know what exactly issue was related to user permission? I am facing same issue.

0 Kudos
Level 16

it was the issue with the user provided for authentication... team did not tell me in detail but they gave me another user and that started working fine.

It would be due to insufficient privilege OR port issue...

0 Kudos
Level 10

In my case, Admin rights are already provided for credentials with all access and port 22 is also open. Still, unable to poll through CLI credentials. However, able to login through Putty using SSH.

0 Kudos
Level 16

did u try with root credentials? If not, i would recommend u try that and if that works then you would have the answer of account having permission issue...

0 Kudos
Level 16

anyone faced this error?

0 Kudos