Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Cannot Limit the Application Templates a SAM Administrator can edit

Jump to solution

I am currently running on: Orion Platform 2019.2 HF2, SAM 6.9.1

I recently have another Vendor who needs access to SAM as administrator. So prior to giving the full access, I tested the account settings on my other user account to see what he will be able to see and do.

So, the Application Views and its components are well managed by the limitation I assigned to the account. The issue comes when I accessed 'Manage Applications' and went to 'Application Monitor Templates'. I was able to see all the application templates there is, and I can even edit them. 

So, I tried changing the limitation between 'Group of application Templates' and 'Group of Application Names' with the same results. 

Is giving someone SAM Admin rights and limiting their view of the application templates actually doable?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
I've never seen any method of filtering the templates for an admin user. @serena and I were recently having a conversation around these same kinds of problems with the lack of granular permissions in Orion. Many things are all or nothing in a way that makes life hard when we want to delegate out tasks to others.
- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
I've never seen any method of filtering the templates for an admin user. @serena and I were recently having a conversation around these same kinds of problems with the lack of granular permissions in Orion. Many things are all or nothing in a way that makes life hard when we want to delegate out tasks to others.
- Marc Netterfield, Github

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Level 9

thanks for checking this out. I have the feeling that this is the case too. Let me check put it out there as a feature request just in case someone else in the forum want this.

I'm throwing in another very useful feature would be to "View As" a different account just to see how Solarwinds looks using their account. This way I don't have to create a secondary account just to double check.

Level 16

Have you tried doing a node-based limitation and see if that works.

0 Kudos
Level 9

I have tried this and is different from what I'm looking for. But, this certainly goes hand in hand with Application Templates so the owners  get access ONLY  to both Application and Node level that they are allowed to.

0 Kudos