This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Best Practice for Monitoring the SAM/NPM Server and SQL Database Server

I'm sure this is somewhere in THWACK, but I cannot locate it.

What is the BP for the monitoring of the main SW server itself (we have NPM and SAM), and the Orion SQL Server?

We are monitoring the server we have NPM/SAM installed on like any other server, but it's always complaining about CPU usage. 

We are just monitoring the SQL server for up/down, no monitoring for SQL at all.

• Last year's THWACKcamp event had a session JUST for you!

Who Watches the Watcher?

• A good starting point, in addition to watching kasaff​ and adatole​'s session, might be to assign the "Orion Server" application monitor template to your Orion servers.

The actual template name is still "Orion Server 2017.3" in my environment, even though we've upgraded to the SAM 6.7.1 / 2018.4 release. Be aware that if you have multiple polling engines and/or multiple web servers, you will need to customize the instance of the application template on your added servers. APEs and AWEs do not run some of the components that your primary Orion server runs, and so the monitor will show some items as failed or down if you don't disable them. Also, to cover the basics, you can assign the SQL Server monitoring template or the "AppInsight for SQL Server" application template to your Orion SQL servers.

Finally, be sure to read Kate's "Who Watches the Watcher" blog post about using Orion's health page. Hope this helps get you started!