This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Backup or failover SMTP engine for Solarwinds

This morning one of our VM hosts had a memory problem and went down and took a few servers with it.  We did not know it went down because the SMTP server that sends alerts out was one of the servers that went down with this as well.  What have others done to configure a backup or failover SMTP engine for Solarwinds or if it can be done at all.  Thanks everyone and stay safe! - Dave

• In Orion my default is a cname alias that points to "stuff" but you may not like how complex it gets. We did this level of redundancy for other stuff, not Orion, but Orion obviously gets to benefit.
    The SMTP servers in house are treated a lot like a web instance for HA/DR. We have VIPs that control resources by location (primary and secondary data center, and Internal /External ) So four VIPs with with at least a pair of resources behind it. Those VIPs are in a GSLB that respond with resources from the closest working resource to you, and never crossing the firewall since we block it.

But I will also say this is why posting to slack/teams/ticketing service like service now as a secondary alert action makes sense. If for whatever reason email is busted, ideally other things aren't. And if we every lose all our internet connections, which would require large scale problems that likely impact much more than IT, our emergency response phone trees will light up pretty quickly.

• I never even thought of Teams and we have an alert channel setup as well hahahahaha.  I will dig into this and do that it makes quite a bit of sense.  Thanks!!