This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Assigning AppInsight for IIS Monitor - 1 of the 2 methods works

There are two methods of manually adding AppInsight for IIS to server (that i'm aware of, and i'm not counting when it gets added during a network sonar scan...that's automated).

1) Manage the node, click List Resources, wait for the list to populate, select the AppInsight Applications -- Microsoft IIS item, click Submit.  Go to My Dashboard -- Applications -- SAM Summary, expand the AppInsight for IIS tree item, locate the node you just added it to, expand it, click Microsoft IIS, there's a popup for configuring the remote server to work with AppInsight, pick the credentials (I use <Inherit credentials from node>), test credentials, assuming that works, click configure and wait for it to finish.  In my environment, this process works.

list_resources.PNG

configure_iis_server_for_monitoring.PNGconfigure_iis_server_for_monitoring_02.PNGconfigure_iis_server_for_monitoring_03.PNG

2) Go to Manage Applications, locate AppInsight for IIS, select it and click Assign to Node, on the next page click Browse... and select the node, the server IP address is populated in Server IP Address field, choose credentials (again, here I use >Inherit credential from node>) and click Test Connection....this is where it goes off the rails for me (see screenshot).

assign_template_to_node.PNG

So my question is, what's the difference between the two methods?  Why would the first work while the second fails?  Does the second method just require manually configuring the server, as alluded to in the "Configuring the IIS Server" tip shown to the right of the config section in the screenshot...and if so, again...why?  Why doesn't it work the same way as option 1?

All nodes are all polled via WMI.