This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Assign SAM template to groups?

(or "Is SAM teasing me *again*?!?)

On the SAM settings page, at the very bottom, there is a tantalizing sentence:

"Application monitors may be added to groups."

Yet, clicking the link "Manage Groups" takes you to the good old "manage groups" screen.

So what is up here - Can you, in fact, assign a template to a Group (not just a group, but a Group), or is this just another case of SAM playing with my emotions?

- Leon

• I also have this question.

I saw that same thing but have not been able to figure out how to do this.  In a demo of the product it was explained to me that you could assign nodes to specific groups upon discovery and you can have templates assigned to those groups so when the node is discovered and added to group it automatically get's those templates.

Is this not a function?

• I'm afraid SAM is teasing you. What this message is stating is that groups can contain applications, or individual component monitors. Not that you can assign an Application Template to an Orion group.

• So basically the Groups are for reporting and have nothing to do with Node organization, right?  If I understand this correctly, you can setup custom dynamic queries in the Groups so you can report on the information you seek, this is the Group features purpose.

This is one HUGE managing component that is missing from SAM.  This is how it should work:

Create Group > Assign Application templates require by group > Import Nodes and assign to Group > Nodes automatically get the monitors in those templates.  This would make life simple.

• Groups were designed primarily to improve decadency mapping and provide root cause analysis. While I agree that the ability to assign application templates to groups either manually or automatically/dynamically would simplify overhead, it has the potential to cause havoc and chaos with credentials unless all nodes used the exact same credentials, or all nodes were managed via WMI.

• Second Leon on that. The choice to "wreak havoc with credentials" vs. significantly simplified management and less manual labor should be users', not Solarwinds'. Adding a node to the group and then manually checking it has the same monitors that the rest of the group members do, is where the havoc could be wreaked. (umm, wroke? ESL student here.)

• Since my Groups are dynamically populated based on specific Custom Property data values, I can just use those same values to assign application monitors.  In fact, the only way a new node gets into a group is to have that field populated via a drop down (this is one of many reasons I CANNOT wait for mandatory custom properties...)

From there is a matter of periodic sweeps to ensure all group members have all required application monitors assigned.  Could this be automated?  Maybe, but then that 30 minute block of time (that only take 5) would be freed up only to be refilled with something else...

• Assignment of applications to group is a feature we are tracking internally under FBFB93967. In the meantime, to automate the task of assigning application templates to nodes you may want to consider leveraging the Orion SDK.

• Possible workaround. Instead of grouping nodes first and then trying to assign app monitors (or templates) based on group membership, one could:

1. assign app templates to desired nodes
    2. create a dynamically queried group based on that parameter (that a specific template has been assigned)

Example:

Screen Shot 2014-07-11 at 3.24.15 AM.png

I am not at all saying this would work for everyone - but it seems to work for me.

Now, can we dynamically assign an app monitoring template to a node based on a custom node property? emoticons_wink.png

• Automatica template assignment to dynamic group members in Orion was implemented as a feature of SAM 6.2.4.