This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Are SAM components upgraded during SAM upgrades?

I am having a discussion about sam template vs. components when you upgraded your SAM version. The templates do not get upgraded, unless they are appinsight based. But how often are the components upgraded? I suspect they do as needed. 

• Hi  

I don't think they will upgrade the component monitors unless there is a change on the underlying connection method that is used by a component monitor or unless they add additional features to the component monitor itself. Most of these component monitors have been running for ages.

The only thing that i have noticed in these many years is addition of new component monitors and minor changes to it (but this will not break anything that's already in place), and it mainly happened when they release a module major version. 

Secondly, say suppose a component monitor uses some kind of a device driver or some executable on the backend to talk to the end device/application and there is a need for that to change, even in this scenario it isn't visible to the human eye as these things are done on the backend with module version upgrade. Your component monitor input will still remain the same as before.

What i have mentioned is to the best of my knowledge as a SolarWinds admin, but then i could be wrong as well.

• Hello  

I agree. I believe things like the .net changes require rewrites, as do accommodating wmi variations in windows. This question came up recently and I don't recall seeing a specific article about how/when components are upgraded. 

Thank you

Marc