cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Application Pool monitoring

Hello,

Is it possible to monitor each application pool in IIS?  I currently just use the IIS template but we have a need to monitor the application pool itself for the status of it.  Is there a monitor for that or any ideas on how this can be accomplished?

Thanks,

Aria

Tags (1)
17 Replies
Level 12

i did set something up based on a post i found on here before appinsight and I know alter will find it quicker then I will but let me go looking l - but i monitored the work process for each app pool on the server i wanted to keep an eye on ... App insight for IIS is far better but it might help you in a pinch

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Yes, it's possible to monitor the IIS application pools but there is no out-of-the-box application templates for this because they're specific to each named instance.You will need to create your own application template using the "Find Processes, Services, and Performance Counters" under SAM Settings which will list the instance names and the counters that are available to be monitored.

Orion APP Pool.png

What is the method used to accomplish this in the latest version of SAM? The performance object referring to App Pools is no longer present.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

These Performance Counters are still available in Windows 2012 as seen below on my server running Exchange 2013.

Windows 2012.png

0 Kudos

Thank you.

I was querying Win2k3 boxes. Apparently, those counters are not visible under earlier versions of IIS. I queried my SW frontend (running on 2k8 R2) and got the APP_POOL_WAS options, but they are not accessible on the 2k3 targets.

0 Kudos

Correct. These counters were introduced in Windows Server 2008 and are supported through 2012R2.

0 Kudos

I cant seem to find  APP_POOL_WAS   server is a windows 2008 and running SAM 6.1 

I believe I am following the steps correctly - customer perfmon monitor  --  pick server iP and account info - but the above is not in the pull down ..

0 Kudos

Component Type: WMI Monitor

WMI Namespace: root\CIMV2

SELECT CurrentApplicationPoolState FROM Win32_PerfFormattedData_APPPOOLCountersProvider_APPPOOLWAS WHERE Name='Name Application Pool via IIS console'

Critical: equal to 5  (Pool Down)

Yes -- this since there are multiple app pools on each server.  Thanks!

0 Kudos

AppInsight for IIS, which is part of the SAM 6.2 beta, includes native Application Pool monitoring.

Sites and Pools.png

We are using SAM 6.0 and need to monitor application pool status in Win 2003 server. How can we do this?

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

AppInsight for IIS, which is part of SAM 6.2, includes native Application Pool monitoring. I would strongly recommend upgrading.

Sites and Pools.png

Hi Alterego, We are planning to upgrade, but it will take around two months. Don't we have any other option to do the application pool monitoring?

0 Kudos

oh i cant wait for this ... its has been such a big hit with the IIS as it is right now , this new app insight IIS is going to top the cake ..

0 Kudos

Alternatively you can use WMI to gather this information using the same Component Monitor Wizard.

WMI Monitor.png

0 Kudos

fitzy, if you go the box itself can you see the application pool via IIS console?

0 Kudos