Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nand78
Level 7

Application Monitor Template for Oracle Database on Unix / Linux

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I have an HPUX server running Oracle database in it and I would like to monitor the Oracle components via APM v4.2. I have been just informed by the support team that there is no existing templates for Unix based Oracle servers.

Has anyone created any custom script or template to monitor Oracle in Unix or Linux OS server before? If yes, would you be able to share it?

Or else is there any way I can monitor my Oracle database?

Regards,

Nand

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
Highlighted
aLTeReGo Product Manager
Product Manager

Re: Application Monitor Template for Oracle Database on Unix / Linux

Jump to solution

Fortunately for you support was mistaken. The Oracle templates that are included in APM/SAM are OS agnostic. They function by using the Oracle client installed on the APM/SAM server to connect to a remote Oracle database running on Windows/Linux/Unix. So regardless of which operating system your Oracle Database server is running on the Oracle Application Template will work.

http://www.solarwinds.com/NetPerfMon/SolarWinds/SAMAdminGuide.18.636.htm

As a side note, you should consider upgrading to the latest version of SAM 5.2. If you're under maintenance there's zero cost, but you benefit from a wealth of new features.

0 Kudos
nand78
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Altergo,

Thanks for you advise. Yes, we are upgrading our APM to SAM 5.2 tonight. I did try using the Oracle template to this HPUX server  but I got the below error. Any idea what does that mean? We have installed Basic Lite Oracle Client in our APM server.

APM error.JPG

0 Kudos
aLTeReGo Product Manager
Product Manager

Jump to solution

Based on the screenshot above it appears as though the Destination Point Type and Destination Point Name have not been properly configured in SAM with the appropriate settings for your Oracle server. You may need to work with your Oracle DBA to determine if you're Oracle server is configured to use a SID or a Service Name to connect, and what that Service Name is. These settings can be normally be found in the tnsnames.ora file that is typically provided by the Oracle DBA with the Oracle Client.

0 Kudos
nand78
Level 7

Jump to solution

Hi Altego,

You're right. it is working now. I have changed the "Destination Point Type" to SID and "Destination Point Name" to the database name.

Thanks alot!

0 Kudos