cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

AppInsight for SQL with Solarwinds Agent

I'm running the AppInsight with SQL Application Monitors with the fancy AppStack which is really cool and has helped a lot so far.

My SQL servers have a Solarwinds agent installed on the windows boxes.

However, I cant light up the monitor summary due to some of the checks unable to get data. For example, SQL Server, SQL Server Agent, and some of the disk checks want to do their check via RCP or WMI. Since I have an agent installed I don't want to use the RPC or WMI protocols I don't want the set them up or request to have the ports open through the Firewalls.

Is there anyway that I can change the monitor to use the Agent?

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Level 12

When you set application preferred polling method to "Agent" - which is default for AppInsights

and when applications run against Windows agent node - then all polling for agent supporting monitors is done locally on agent node.

Even if some monitor utilizes WMI technology, it runs locally on the node.

There is no remote connection from Orion server via WMI to the node in such case.

For more details see Monitor with Orion agents in SAM  and How agents work ...

0 Kudos
Level 10

"....when applications run against Windows agent node - then all polling for agent supporting monitors is done locally on agent node.

Even if some monitor utilizes WMI technology, it runs locally on the node.

There is no remote connection from Orion server via WMI to the node in such case."

tomasv​ I dont actually see this happening. The the AppInsight for SQL my preferred polling method is Agent. There are several monitors that came out of the box with it that don't seem to support agent polling. The only options are WMI or RPC. They return "unknown" which throws the whole AppInsight into Unknown.

0 Kudos
Level 14

Are you using a local database account or using the agent credentials to poll?

We had similar issues, on one of three agented SQL servers. We had plenty of the AppInsight monitors were responding correctly, as they were using the user the agent was running as, but still the SQL queries failed as the agent user didn't have DB rights.

The support lads also mentioned "It is only an issue when the node is configured with the Agent that it does not initiate it's first poll (This issue is being tracked internally and hopefully resolved in a release in the near future). " and pointed me to this post, although for Exchange the principle applies to SQL server monitoring as well - AppInsight for Exchange does not poll with the Agent - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support

0 Kudos
Level 10

We are using a local database account for the SQL queries and those come back with data. Here is a screenshot.

12-8-2016 10-29-17 AM.png

0 Kudos
Level 11

It appears your credential doesn't have adequate permissions to access the data its trying to.

AppInsight for SQL requirements and permissions

0 Kudos
Level 10

I've done the scripts in that document. Is there a check against SQL server that isn't working from my screenshot? The ones that are gray i think are checks against the windows box itself such as Disk counters and Status of services.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hey there just an FYI! I'm keeping watch on this discussion/question in case the docs need to be refined, easier to follow, etc. for permissions and unknown states for AppInsight for SQL, etc. Thanks! ~Lori the SAM doc lady

0 Kudos