cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 12

AppInsight for SQL on MS SQL Clusters Nodes Monitored with Agents

Reading the documentation here it states that:

• Agents do not work with AppInsight for SQL if the SQL server is monitored in a cluster.
  • SQL clusters cannot be polled with domain credentials via the Orion agent because agents do not work with AppInsight for SQL if the SQL server is monitored in a cluster.

All our Windows estate is monitored with agents as WMI does not play nice with firewalls and also we use application dependency mapping to build our Orion Maps. I'm struggling to understand why agent based monitoring is a problem for this template? The default in the template is agent based monitoring so what's preventing it monitoring SQL clusters? I'm running 2091.04.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Level 12

When you monitor a server, you point orion to that servers ip-address. You can install an agent there or monitor with WMI.

In a cluster, you point orion to the virtual IP-address of the cluster, or the SQL instance in this case. You can not know on what node the cluster is active at a given time. Therefor you can't know what agent to talk to.

You can have agents on the cluster nodes to monitor local resources that don't move. But cluster resources that move around, services and disks, must be monitored via the cluster/service (SQL) ip address with WMI. 

Two options for you with WMI: you can limit the amount of "high rpc ports" but that also affects MSDTC that you might use in SQL. You can also try the new feature that came with 2020.2, to monitor WMI via WinRM instead of RPC. WinRM only use a few ports.

Good luck!

0 Kudos

Hi, but I can see all the cluster aspects (which server is active etc.) form the Windows Cluster API, CMDLETS etc. So in terms of cluster monitoring do we do the following:

1 - Add the cluster virtual IP as a node monitored with WMI

2 - Run List resources against this node

3 - Run AppInsights for SQL against the SQL instances found thereafter

?

0 Kudos

Yes, that is how I would do it, WMI against the cluster-address.

Also remember that the cluster, WFC, has one IP address and the SQL-instance has another. It is the SQL-instance IP-address that you want to be monitoring.

0 Kudos