This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AppInsight for Exchange Failover Server monitoring

FormerMember
FormerMember

We use multiple failover servers and just recently failed over due to doing updates. We had AI/Ex set up on the previously active Exchange server and after it failed over we set it up on the new active server. Ever since then the passive server is in a critical state since the exchange monitoring stopped since it is no longer active which I would assume is to be expected. My question is how can I get AppInsight to realize that it is a passive server now and get it out of critical state without disabling the Exchange monitoring resource? I don't want to disable it in case it has to failover so we have continuous monitoring but it also doesn't look good having a server in critical state. I'm not sure if this is even possible but any insight(pun intended) would be greatly appreciated since I am unable to find this information in previous posts.

Also, on the same server since the reboot it has extremely high Average document indexing times. I had not seen this issue before it failed over to the current active server and it shows it is extremely high on all our databases. This is confirmed through perfmon.exe and the average time for each database is around 87 seconds. I have done numerous searches in numerous ways to try and find good documentation on Document Indexing and what it does or how to troubleshoot it and cannot find anything. Either my Google-Fu is lacking or there just isn't a lot of documentation out there on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

• AppInsight for Exchange must be configured to monitor each member of the DAG. Regardless if the server is active or passive, AppInsight for Exchange should be aware of that fact and report accordingly.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to aLTeReGo

So just for clarification, if it isn't monitoring every member of the DAG it will report that Microsoft Exchange is in critical state because Microsoft Exchange Monitor service has stopped on the passive node? I fail to see why it would need to be on every member of the DAG to tell that one of the nodes is the passive and the other active if that is the case. We have 4 exchange servers total in this DAG 2 on site and 2 off site. The 2 off site members are just part of our DRP and never get used so we don't want to deal with having AppInsight on those nodes if it is avoidable. We try to keep the amount of variables to a minimum on our monitoring to minimize impact on the monitoring of our on Site servers.

I appreciate all your assistance alter.

• If the passive node is not being monitored than you will have no visibility into its health or availability. A "DAG" is an entity of multiple servers and as such there is no central authority. Rather it's the culmination of all information collected from each member of the DAG. E.G. if you have a standby server it's database copy may be corrupted or or you may have run out of space, but the "active" primary server will have no knowledge or understanding that the secondary server is in poor health. For this reason you must monitor all members within a DAG using AppInsight for Exchange.