This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AppInsight For SQL: Clusters

Hello,

Just in need of some technical advice;

Im trying to 'AppInsight for SQL' on my SQL Server Database Cluster in the DMZ (Which sits behind a firewall and is on the domain) but it will not show the Instances when doing a list resources.

My firewall guys cannot see any ports being dropped on our firewall for these boxes when im attempting to monitor the instances, Or will i not see any SQL port drops until Orion can determine it can communicate with SQL first?

SAM has WMI access to the cluster with a Domain Admin account.

Has anybody else had issues with doing the above? Or are there any guidelines when monitoring a SQL Server cluster because i cant seem to get around this.

I should probably mention there is 2 instances running on this cluster, ive tried adding the VIP IP address, the IP addresses of the Instance resources on the cluster and ive tried just adding the node IP addresses in but still no instances.

Any info would be appreciated emoticons_happy.png

Regards,

L.

EDIT: The instances are running on different static SQL ports (Yes i have tried entering these static ports too before anybody asks) but should that matter when the browser service should do the work to point me to my instances?

EDIT 2: I should also mention i am using an additional poller in the DMZ which is initiating the WMI Connections then feeding back to my Main Poller.

• Without knowing the why behind it, the first thing that came to mind is why a database server would be sitting in the DMZ.  From a security standpoint, the app would sit in the DMZ and the database would be internal.

With regards to the actual question, I have not done a lot with the SQL Appinsight, so I can't answer the question itself. However, I do know that when setting up the IIS Appinsight, even though I have a poller in the DMZ, the initial communication comes from the main poller.  So, it would seem that something is getting blocked.  The IIS ones provides instructions on manual configuration, but this does not appear to be the case for SQL.  My guess is because it assumes that SQL is internal, without the intervention of firewalls.