cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
dhinagar_j
Level 10

App insight for MS SQL - SAM component monitor consumption

Dear Solarwinds Experts,

I been involved in 3 different client projects, where SAM was scoped to monitor MS SQL Databases & we activated it using Appinsight for MS SQL.

As per document, Appinsight for Mssql tenmplates consume - 50 component monitors, but ideally when i assign it to MS SQL servers, this particular application template itself consuming on average 300 -500 component monitors.

My constrains are not with the SAM licensing, i am seeing problem with Additional polling engine scalability limit, As Each Ape can accommodate 10K component monitors, if we on-board a single MS SQL servers,, it is consuming ~800 components , as shown in below case.

I am using SWQL utility to verify my understanding,

In Application table, i am retrieving Application ID (41) for MySQL application that is applied to Node id (75)

pastedImage_1.png

And  if i check for the component list , related to Application ID 41, the count goes beyond 800.

pastedImage_0.png

Could some one , help me to understand, any thing wrong with my understanding..

0 Kudos
3 Replies
rfroembgen
Level 11

Re: App insight for MS SQL - SAM component monitor consumption

Hi,

you are correct about your concers regarding the APE scalability limit. From my experience if you are using SAM more or less only with AppInsight for SQL i would recommend calculating with 8k components instead of 10k.

Which kind of license are you or your clients using? If its a node-based license, you have free (SAM only) APEs available.

If you deploy a new APE you can select during the setup "Additional Polling Engine for Server & Application Monitor" so it will install it as "SAM only"-APE.

Remember that if you are using the old (component based) licensing you can switch from the old model to the new node-based. Obviously you need to make sure you still have enough licenses available for all of your nodes.

serena​​ , is there a limit of how many "free" APEs you can get with the SAM node-based license? I couldn't find it in the documentation.

Best Regards

Rene

serena
Level 16

rfroembgen  wrote:

Hi,

you are correct about your concers regarding the APE scalability limit. From my experience if you are using SAM more or less only with AppInsight for SQL i would recommend calculating with 8k components instead of 10k.

Which kind of license are you or your clients using? If its a node-based license, you have free (SAM only) APEs available.

If you deploy a new APE you can select during the setup "Additional Polling Engine for Server & Application Monitor" so it will install it as "SAM only"-APE.

Remember that if you are using the old (component based) licensing you can switch from the old model to the new node-based. Obviously you need to make sure you still have enough licenses available for all of your nodes.

serena  , is there a limit of how many "free" APEs you can get with the SAM node-based license? I couldn't find it in the documentation.

Best Regards

Rene

There is no limit to how many included APEs come with the SAM node based license. You are only constrained by the platform scalability limits, which current advise up to 100 polling engines per Orion deployment.

Scalability Engine Guidelines for SolarWinds products

pastedImage_4.png

rfroembgen
Level 11

Perfect, thank you!

0 Kudos