This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

All Alerts this Object can trigger/Active Alerts on This Node

I'm new to Solarwinds & can't find the answer to my dilemma. Thwack has helped me several times over the past 4 weeks of which I'm very grateful!

So in my environment, every physical & virtual server has the above 2 resources listed on every Node Details Summary page (All Alerts this Object can trigger/Active Alerts on This Node). The problem I'm facing is two-fold.

1. I can't find any rhyme or reason or logic why some pages have alerts populated under "Active Alerts on This Node" while others are blank. For instance, we are using the out-of-the-box "Guess storage space utilization" which states to alert on Virtual Machines. And thus, no VM's (well, a few alert for the custom "Disk space alert" I created to only flag physical servers; trying to figure out why that happens) display any alerts in this field. My end goal is to have all alerts for a specific resource displayed here. This specific link (All alerts this object can trigger resource - SolarWinds Worldwide, LLC. Help and Support ) leads me to believe (or how I read it anyways) that only alerts that have "Node" in the Trigger Condition will populate "Active Alerts on this Node." True? How do I reach my goal?

pastedImage_1.png

2. As seen above, ALL resources only have the above listed for "All Alerts this Object can trigger." Which I'm confused about since there's a disk alert that triggered (in my above example). My end goal is to have everything we're actively alerting displayed here.

Again, I'm sorry if these are stupid or basic questions/issues. Thanks in advance for any & all help!

• Any help would be greatly appreciated

• Hello.

1) Are you looking at the node details (summary) page?

2) Your widget "active alerts" looks good. Your "all alerts this object can trigger" however looks off. -> Where does this extra field come from called "ResponsibleTeam" ? This indicates customisation.

3) Next thing you could check is whether you are logged in as admin with full permissions.

4) Are you using any alert limitations as seen in my screenshot?

pastedImage_2.png

Best regards,

Steffen

• Thanks for the input Steffen!

1) Are you looking at the node details (summary) page? Yes, I'm on the Node Details Summary page

2) Your widget "active alerts" looks good. Your "all alerts this object can trigger" however looks off. -> Where does this extra field come from called "ResponsibleTeam" ? This indicates customisation. When editing the alert, I do see "Responsible Team" on the Properties page (we have it blank)

3) Next thing you could check is whether you are logged in as admin with full permissions. Definitely logged in with full admin rights

4) Are you using any alert limitations as seen in my screenshot? I did enable that category & no limitations are populated

So I'm not sure where SW is pulling this info from & why the alerts are not populating for the resource.

As I stated in my original post, another issue I'm having is VM's are showing "Active Alerts on This Node" but not for the alert I thought would trigger. Below is how the alert is configured. I thought this would eliminate all VM's but this is not the case.

pastedImage_1.png

I wanted to eliminate VM's via the Hardware category on the Node Details but can't find that either

• To exclude alerts on your ESXi hosts I would use an alert on "volumes" and a "set of objects" instead of the default "all objects" and then use the machine type field to exclude. You can then select the type from a drop-down-box.

pastedImage_1.png

btw there is already a preconfigured (out of the box) alert that you could duplicate & edit and turn on.

pastedImage_2.png

Good luck,

Steffen

• Thanks Steffen! I've implemented that. We'll see how it goes emoticons_happy.png

• Well, that didn't fix it. Lots of VM's alerted along side physical machines. I'm starting to think our SW environment was not setup properly...

• New idea. Use the hardware = virtual field instead of machine type.

Here is a VM which is monitored as a normal physical server

pastedImage_0.png

A "real" VM does not have a Node Details info but a Virtual Machine Details:

pastedImage_2.png

• I had a similar idea last week but couldn't find the 'Hardware" category anywhere. I researched high & low & couldn't find how to modify or even find that field.

pastedImage_0.png

• When you don't find a suitable field you can create your own one (custom property) like "VM" with options of true and false. Then you assign this custom property to all of your nodes and flag your virtual machines accordingly. This in turn would allow you to use this as a filter in your alert(s).