cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

Alerts disapeared from Advanced Alert Manager

Jump to solution

Since upgrading to SAM 6.2 the majority of our alerts have disapeared from the Advanced Alerts manager application on our Orion server and are now in the web console. Whilst i appreciate that this is good to have all functionality available through the web console i am actually finding it harder to manage alerts using this.

Is there any way at all to manage alerts still from the Advanced Alert Manager utility? For some reason 6/7 of my alerts are still visible in the utility, the rest are no longer visible at all (see attachment)?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Correct. The new Web Based Alert Manager uses a new macro expression format from the legacy Win32 Advanced Alert Manager. You should use this new format when recreating your alerts in the new Web Based Alert Manager.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
9 Replies
Level 9

Has there been any training material released for the new alert manager?  I'm just trying to get a basic temperature alert on a device and I can't figure it out.  In the old system I could have done it in five minutes or less.  Not to mention I had to go in and re-format all my custom alerts.  It would have been really nice to have this change be either a) announced better or b) be optional. 

0 Kudos

The improvements in alerting were outlined in the Release Notes that accompanied the upgrade. They can also be found onlineThe Legacy Win32 based Advanced Alert Manager can continue to be used if so desired. It can be found "C:\Program Files (x86)\SolarWinds\Orion\AlertManager.exe". You should however find the web based Alert Manager functions in a very similar fashion to Win32 Advanced Alert Manager it was based on.

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Alerts that remain within the Win32 Alert Manager could not be converted for some reason. Either these alerts were not properly defined and thus did not work prior to the migration, or the migration process was unable to convert them for some other reason. You can still continue to create new alerts in the Win32 Advanced Alert Manager and they will trigger and operate normally as they have in the past. Please note however that if you re-run the Configuration Wizard any new alerts created within the Win32 Advanced Alert Manager will be migrated to the Web Based Alert Manager.

0 Kudos

Thanks aLTeReGo,

I am just trying to recreate these alerts manually as export / import doesn't work (with no errors i can see). Am i right in thinking that all of the variables have changed? A lot of our syntax doesn't look correct and when i try to find the variables I used in the past these look very different. For example, below is our old NetPerfMon Event Log trigger action from the old alert:

Severity: ${componentstatus}. Component  ${ComponentName} on Application ${ApplicationName} on Node ${NodeName} is ${ComponentStatus}.

------------------------------

User Description: ${UserDescription}

Component Message: ${ComponentMessage}

Alert Message: ${AlertMessage}

------------------------------

When I try to find variables such as "${componentstatus}" the closest i can find is now in the following format:

${N=SwisEntity;M=ComponentAlert.ComponentAvailability}

Does this mean that i need to revisit all of our alerts? I don't remember reading anything about this change in the upgrade notes.

Thanks

Rob

0 Kudos

Correct. The new Web Based Alert Manager uses a new macro expression format from the legacy Win32 Advanced Alert Manager. You should use this new format when recreating your alerts in the new Web Based Alert Manager.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Glad I haven't upgraded yet as I didn't see this in the release notes either. Was this mentioned to the customer before somewhere? The upgrade's been out for a while now and I just stumbled across this change in this thread.

0 Kudos

Hi ttl,

I wasn't aware of this prior to upgrade so yes it did come as a shock. The new syntax takes some getting used to also.

One other thing i have noticed since documenting this initially is that my alerts use different criteria for failed / faulty components. I have now had to go through each alert i have configured and check that the criteria is still valid, for example:

The built in alert for "Warn me when a component goes Warning or Critical" needs modifying. No longer will the following work:

"Component > Is Equal To > Warning

OR

Component > Is Equal To > Critical"

This will need changing to something like:

"Component > Is Equal To > Down

OR

Component > Is Equal To > Warning

OR

Component > Is Equal To > Unreachable"

My advice would be to check every alert as soon as you have upgraded. And familiarise yourself with the new look and feel of the alert manager in the browser. It is better, but it is very different!

Cheers

Rob

0 Kudos
Product Manager
Product Manager

Alert, and Alert Macro migration should be a seamless and transparent operation, and has been for thousands of customers. There can be however the occasional hiccup with the migration process. Re-running the Configuration Wizard in most instances resolves the problem. Many of the new issues identified with the new Web Based Alert Manager have been addressed in Hotfix 4. If for any reason however you encounter a unique issue that prevents your alerts from working with the new Web Based Alert Manager you can very easily revert back to the Legacy Win32 Based Advanced Alert Manager application as if nothing ever happened.

0 Kudos

My concern is actually that after having spent a decent amount of time learning to create Advanced Alerts fairly quickly, there is now a learning curve where I have to get back up to speed, which is going to slow me down. We have dozens (probably closer to 100) alerts, so going through all of them to ensure that they're still structured correctly -- after having re-learned the structuring -- is going to be time-consuming when there's little time to do what needs to be done already.

I just wonder if there was any advance notice that this syntax / formatting / macro change was coming.

0 Kudos