This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alerting on a Service that is Down

Friends, I need your help. I have been asked to send an alert when on our Exchange servers, the Exchange System Attendant service has gone down.

I am running NPM 11.5.2 and SAM 6.2.2.

I have the server discovered in NPM, and in SAM I have applied the Exchange 2007 Mailbox Role Services template.

screenshot.56.jpg

I can SEE things as they happen, but I cannot for the life of me get an alert configured.

I have created successful alerts before, but none on an element of SAM.

If anyone could tell me how to do this or point me in the right direction for help/documentation - I would be grateful. I have looked through the KB and Thwack, but I cannot find anything that is clear to me on how to do this.

Dave Claussen

dclausse@scgov.net

• The default out-of-the-box alert "Alert me when a component goes down" should notify you when this condition occurs. All you should need to do is configure the SMTP server and email address, or any other trigger condition you'd like in the alert.

• as alterego says, the deafult alert me when a component goes down will work, but this will alert you on every component in your environment, and this might be a problem if you have alot.

you can create a new alert give it a name and a description

for the trigger you want to alert on 'component'

and the actually trigger should restrict it to the component you want, and its status, so for the first condition:

Component name is equal to Exchange System attendant (this will auto fill as you type)

Add another condition

Component status is not equal to UP

I tend to have it like this so you are alerted on all status other than up. If you just want down, you can modify to component status is equal to DOWN

• Reset condition - just click next
    • Time of day - up to you, but again i tend to leave this, and restrict the trigger actions if i need to restrict the time (this way it is always in the logs)
    • Trigger Actions: Add the content you need here, so an email action for example. The default template will give you the information you need, just add an SMTP server.
    • Reset Actions: Add another email (or copy from trigger)
    • Finish.

That should work for you

• I configured that alert as you suggested and it works like a champ. Thank you both so much for the help. I have moved forward with many new alerts thanks to your help.

Have a great weekend.

- Dave