This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert when two volumes one one server are low on space

I have a server that houses two large backup volumes, and we need to know if both volumes dip below 3GB of free space remaining.

Can someone please sanity-check my alert and let me know if this would produce the desired result?

Trigger alert when all of the following apply

Node name is equal to <server>

Volume Description contains E:\

Volume Space Available is less than 3000000000

Volume Description contains F:\

Volume Space Available is less than 3000000000

It seems to me that this should work, but I'd like second opinions.

Also, in the trigger email, is there any way to have it tell me that E:\ has X space free and F:\ has Y space free?  When testing this, the ${Volume*} variables seemed to only pick up on E:\, since it came first.

• The alert as written looks fine but I would recommending testing it by setting the trigger condition to something known to be true. E.G Volume Space Available is less than 3000000000000000 "300GB".

• I am not sure if this is still the case but in the past I was told by support it is not recommended to mix node and volume details in my alert triggers. So I had to set my alerts up like I have below.

Trigger alert when any of the following apply

Volume Description is equal to E:\

Volume Description is equal to F:\

Volume Type is equal to Fixed Disk

Volume Space Available is less than or equal to 3000000000

• I don't think either alert will work the way you wanted-

For the first, no single event will have volume description of E: and F:, so that alert will never fire.

For the second, it will only need either E:, F:, or a fixed disk have <300MB.

EDIT: nvm, group alerts only have status updates. Unfortunately, there's no simple way to make alerts interdependent besides groups and dependencies, and I don't think a single event that triggers an alert can contain info about multiple seperate objects.

• Try this, I just cleaned my alerts up over the weekend and this is working for me:

pastedImage_1.jpg

• I would use the the top 2 lines of aboulton's alert, then use varbinds in the alert message to dynamically identify the volume name, trigger condition that fired the alert, the server, and the volume letter. If you use the volume name in the trigger you will have to add every volume one by one.

Andy McBride

Director, Public Training

Loop1 Systems

• That still does not trigger only when both volumes are low- that alert will trigger whenever any of the volumes are low on space. You'll need another alert that interacts with multiple alerts (ie somehting that checks for >= 2 alerts of a certain name in the active alerts) to get that functionality which isn't a builtin alert. Possibly workable with custom SQL, though I'm not sure how to do so.

• Note that the 2nd simple condition in my screen shot was set to ANY if you only want this alert to trigger when both volumes are below you would simply need to change that simple condition from ANY to ALL

• I believe this would need to be a custom SQL alert which includes a select subquery to get data from two volumes for a given node. This would, I think, not work if you anyone else wanted to check more than one volume on two different servers, but it should be do-able on just one node.

• This seems to work okay. Note that I've used NodeID to avoid having to use joins and make the subqueries longer. There's probably a better way of doing this, but this is perhaps the easiest to follow & expand on for people who aren't familiar with SQL.You might want to add additional conditions with RESPONDING = 'Y' to avoid triggering the alert when a volume is renamed or when Orion misses a poll etc.

I'm not going to even try adding multiple volume info bits to alert emails, because it's a pain in the nuts to get it working properly.

pastedImage_0.png