This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert when Java Updates?

I'm looking to configure an alert for when Java updates on a node.  I'm sure there's a few ways to go about it, not sure which one is best.  I can do a File Change Monitor on the .dll and .exe files, but would I have to update the threshold every time we approve an update?  Or would the baseline re-adjust?

I was also looking into a WMI query, but while I would normally use this: "wmic product where "name like '%Java%'" get version", I'm not certain how to integrate it with the WMI component.  I don't believe I had the syntax proper for the WMI Component to use.

I tried inputting the query in the Powershell Monitor, but the condition returned was always "false" and thus unreliable.

param(

[string]$file_ver

)

$val = [System.Diagnostics.FileVersionInfo]::GetVersionInfo("C:\Program Files\Java\jre1.8.0_171\bin\java.exe").FileVersion

if ($val -eq $file_ver) {

Write-Host "Statistic: 0"

} else {

Write-Host "Statistic: 1"

}

Exit 0 

Any ideas on how to best implement this?