This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Alert on Access Denied

We have an old server that thinks that it is no longer on the domain network from time to time.  While we work on migrating it to a new server, is there a way that we can get alerted if a SAM poll fails due to "Access is Denied"?

• Certainly. Simply define an alert to notify you when a volume, interface, or application monitored on that host is in an "unknown" state.

• I actually need to monitor for that specific error.  Unknown can mean a lot of things, for example a momentary spike in CPU usage where the machine just didn't respond (or, since these are old and the application is CPU intensive, that they're actually working on a job).  If there's not, we can see if there is other indicators - there might be a different service we can monitor on them.

• Then I would suggest assigning the Windows File Share Availability template to the node. Should the server become disjoined from the domain the template will return the error "Shared folder does not exists or specified user has insufficient rights on the target node" which can be used in the alerting properties. I suggest specifying an administrative share such as "C$" and obviously you must use domain credentials if you are wanting to validate domain authentication is functioning properly.