I am using the Orion Agent on a significant number of Windows systems at this point and one thing I notice on occasion is that the node will show up in a down status in Orion when it's actually up and all data-collections are functioning properly. The only way to resolve this issue is to restart the agent on the node.
I am curious if other people are seeing this or if it's a known issue?
Without looking through your diagnostics I can't say definitively, but I am reasonably confident that the issue you are seeing was resolved in the 2018.4 release. Note that 2019.4 is now available, so it has been more than two years since you've upgraded.
I just had a similar situation where after we applied Microsoft patches last Thursday night the system showed down, but was still collecting data. I went in and made sure the Windows Firewall rule was set to Any on the protocol for the agent executable and then restarted the agent. Cleared it up. Since the system was rebooted on Friday a restart of the agent alone did not clear the problem.
I now have SW Case #1179502 open on this issue. I uploaded diagnostics from my primary polling engine as well as the APE that the nodes in question were attached to. I was also able to get one of the agents set to debug mode while it was in the broken state and get some logs from it; those have also been uploaded.
Good luck. The agents here seem to have settled themselves after a while but it's definitely been a headache. Keeping an eye on it and will raise a support case to send logs through if they go haywire again.
I had an issue yesterday where I couldn't get an alert to notice a custom property. It kept saying it's not in the format necessary. I double, triple checked everything and it was driving me nuts. Ended up restarting the Orion module engine on the primary, and ape. That resolved the issue -- bizarre! That though caused most of my agent managed nodes to report as down briefly. I listed the resources and changed status and response time to ICMP since they all allow ICMP. At some point I'll probably restart that service again to test if the nodes still falsely report as down or not..
Goodluck with support byrona.
I just had a bunch of agents do this last night all at the same time. Calling SW support now to open a ticket on this, the amount of time i am spending restarting agents is getting out of hand.
I've seen this happen a few times, and quickly worked around it by either restarting the agent service or initiating a manual poll of the node. I only have a handful of agents however, all agent initiated. It does seem like it was related to reboots, reconfigurations etc., just a hunch though like you said . I'll keep an eye out if it happens again as I'm now on the latest versions with the most recent hotfixes.
Hey byrona, did you ever find a solution for this? I've got the same issue. Of about 80 agents deployed, 22 say the node is down but I'm still getting statistics...
This condition can occur as a result of duplicate agents. E.G. The machine where the agent is installed is cloned and have the same SID/hostname. As the result, 2 agents have the same GUID and both are trying to connect to AMS.
Thanks for that information aLTeReGo, in the many cases where I have seen this happen it's definitely not a case of cloning and duplicate SID/hostnames. The nodes are just running fine then something happens (not sure what) and the next thing I know I have a node that is still getting data-collections but is being reported as down. I think I may have even opened a case with SW support on this at one point but they just helped me resolve that specific case and provided to explanation as to why it keeps happening so at this point I just fix it myself.
If you encounter this issue again, please open a case with support. You should also collect diagnostics from the Agent as soon as you notice the problem occurring. These should help us identify the root cause.
No, I haven't found what I would consider a solution. When this happens I start by trying to restart the agent service on the node and see if that fixes the problem. If that doesn't work I go into control panel, find the Agent (make sure you view by icons) and re-enter the Orion server information which seems to re-sync it. If that doesn't work the last option is to uninstall/re-install the agent. Like I said, I certainly don't consider any of these solutions, just work-arounds.
SolarWinds solutions are rooted in our deep connection to our user base in the THWACK® online community. More than 150,000 members are here to solve problems, share technology and best practices, and directly contribute to our product development process. Learn more today by joining now.