cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post

Active/Standby Cluster application monitoring

Jump to solution

TRIED TO DELETE THIS POST, BECAUSE i FOUND THE ANSWER ELSEWHERE ON THE FORUM, BUT IT WON'T LET ME.

Hello,
I have several MS Active/Standby SQL clusters that I would like to monitor services on. The problem I am running into is that the services I want to monitor are only running on the active node in the cluster, so the standby node always shows as down.
Is there any way to configure a dependency that says do not poll the standby node unless the active node is down? Any other way to work around this?
Thanks.
-Shawn

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Monitor the cluster name for the services, not the individual nodes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies

Monitor the cluster name for the services, not the individual nodes.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

shawn-maloney, maybe I am missing something, but how do you monitor both the cluster and the nodes.  When I try to add the cluster, it resolves to the active node and tells me that ip is already monitored.  So when it fails over it is going to show down instead of hitting the now active node.  Maybe I am making this more complicated than it should be.

0 Kudos

If you register it by the virtual hostname, that's actually tied to a VIP.

The virtual hostname and VIP are both included as cluster resources, so when a fail over occurs, monitoring will follow the virtual hostname which will still resolve to the VIP which will now be bound to the new node.

0 Kudos