cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 13

Action monitor templates - query. Shouting does not fix things.

Good morning er....fellow winders...(?)

I had an issue with a node that I needed to remove and then add into solarwinds.  It was part of a action monitor template and I have been trying to add it back into the template.  For the love of me I cannot seem to get any credential to get authority from the server.

I have tried my own account (A domain admin account) the svc accounts (that lave local admin permissions) that can logon to the server, every account that was memorised within solarwinds.  Removed it, added it, I have tried to see what credentials the other nodes have (there are 4 in total for this template)  Nothing.  Not even shouting at my screen and then crying into my water has resolved the issue.

Could anyone with some insight provide me with some advice.

0 Kudos
18 Replies
Level 13

I still have the same problem I had yesterday: the application is in a state of unknown. any ideas?

0 Kudos
Level 10

Can you add any other application and get it to work, or do all new additions get you an "Unknown " state.

Can you turn the logging on and post the Application log?

Level 13

Just another update.  After adding and removing the node yesterday, I now cannot monitor anything on it (the server) due to the node being in an unknown state.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I suspect the node is the issue. If you have already re-added it then doing that again will not help. If other nodes are working then the underlying processes must be. Is it possible the server has dropped out of Active Domain?

Level 13

That's what I thought yesterday.  As the failover was perfectly fine to add monitoring and was working fine with credentials.  But then I went to the server in question and it's was kinda fine yesterday after removing it and then adding it, but today it flat out refuses to monitor anything.  When it does it's in an unknown state.

The node is connected to the domain as it's part of a cluster.

0 Kudos
Level 10

I guess my next ap[proaches are mor to do with Windows Firewall or other firewall issues. How are you connecting to the node SNMP or WMI

Level 13

Via SNMP

0 Kudos
Level 10

So .. does the server respond to a Ping from the poller?

Level 13

Yes.  If I run a test ping from solarwinds it is successful.  It can see the CDM (CPU, Drives and memory)

the values and thresholds were already amended as it's an SQL server.  Again, that's perfectly fine.

Thank you for your help btw.

0 Kudos
Level 10

When you say you added , did you remove it and re-add it, or try adding the device again and get solarwinds to re-add the server?

Level 13

I removed/deleted the node from solarwinds.  Then waited a few moments.  Then added the node via NPM.

Level 10

I would try adding the node again (without removing it) by IP address. Solarwinds will come up with this

pastedImage_1.png

Press the Re-Add ---

Just in-case there is a rogue entry somewhere ... It should pick up the applications so no need to re-add/apply those, just next>next it all.

let me know if that helps ... otherwise I am exhausted for ideas as not seen before .. could be time for a Solarwinds Tech Case

0 Kudos
Level 13

I did re-add it and then click next as instructed.  I still have the same issue.  I will raise a call to solarwinds and see if they have any ideas.

Thank you for your time and effort.

0 Kudos
Level 10

and what happens from the test SNMP when you edit values

Level 13

How weird.  I have found (while casually exploring our environment) that ALL of the appinsight nodes are in a state of unknown.

Once I have moved some monitoring on some nodes I will have a look later today or tomorrow to see if the same thing is happening with all of them.  I think it might as they are all exhibiting the same symptoms.

0 Kudos
Level 13

With regards to other nodes/other applications.

I did a test on another server and the server in question.  I was able to add other SAM's and they produced an up/down state (depending on what I added.  I added one up and one down on two servers.)

When you say logging, are you referring to the logging within solarwinds, or the event logs within windows.

0 Kudos
Level 13

That's interesting.  I ran the same app jobs this morning (Windows even log monitor) on the server in question, with the same credentials as yesterday afternoon and it appears to be hanging.

might there be an issue with the node?  I did sort of suspect that this morning, but thought to try other routes before making an assumption.

0 Kudos
Level 13

After adding the node as per the other nodes credentials, it has added, but it's in an unknown state. I will wait for the pollers to poll and see what happens.

0 Kudos