cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 7

APM not available

I think I may have killed my APM.  I installed SP3 and now see the following when attempting to connect on the web int.

APM Service Not Available

The Web Console is unable to communicate with the APM Service Engine.

Expand
 Additional Information

There was no response from the APM Service Engine located at <servername>:17605

There is an error in the event view that states the following:

Unhandled Exception caught in APM Service Engine startup. Cannot listen on pipe name 'net.pipe://localhost/orion/apm/businesslayer' because another pipe endpoint is already listening on that name.

0 Kudos
17 Replies

We also are having this same problem. This seems to be happening 1 - 2 times a week but seems to be getting worse as time goes on. Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

Installing a custom .dll file and upgrading to SP3 sort of solved the issue for us. SolarWinds.JobEngineWorker.exe is now taking up A LOT of CPU time on our main Orion server as well as the Scheduler and Engine Services.

I'd call Solarwinds and reference my case above and have them send you the .dll the sent me and upgrade to SP3.  It won't fix it entirely, but it will at least get you up and running about 85%.

0 Kudos

I just tried this fix and now all of our nodes fail with the following error:

APM Service Not Available

The Web Console is unable to communicate with the APM Service Engine.

Expand
 Additional Information

There was no response from the APM Service Engine located at MMPNMONW01:17605

How can I uninstall SP 3 to get my stuff working again?

0 Kudos

Try restarting the SolarWinds Orion Module Engine service.  That may fix your problem.

0 Kudos

You could just run a repair-

Add/Remove ->Change-> Repair which will take you back prior to applying SP3. 

0 Kudos

Will this uninstall SP 1 and SP 2?

Also, do I need to stop job engine and job scheduler to do the repair?

0 Kudos

To clarify, I would recommend repairing Orion, and not the
Application Performance Monitor. Afterwards, re-apply it's service pack. You might also try Josh's suggestion prior to doing this.

0 Kudos

I just tried Josh's suggestion and it worked. I will be keeping an eye on it because it was working earlier after I did the install and then quit working. Thanks for the help, you guys are better than the help desk, still have not heard from them!

0 Kudos
Level 9

I get the exact same error.  CASE#: 38312

SolarWinds tech support hasn't been to track the issue down yet.

0 Kudos
Level 13

Try this:

1. Stop the Solarwinds Module Engine service. 
  2. Wait 60 seconds. 
  3. Restart the service
If that doesn't work - rebooting the server should work
0 Kudos

Josh,

I would attempt this but it seems I have really fried something.  I had to install the packages over the ones I had as I just purchased licenses...well when I go to the web int now I get errors...

Server Error in '/' Application.

Server Error in '/' Application.

Runtime Error

Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

Details: To enable the details of this specific error message to be viewable on remote machines, please create a <customErrors> tag within a "web.config" configuration file located in the root directory of the current web application. This <customErrors> tag should then have its "mode" attribute set to "Off".

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="Off"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Notes: The current error page you are seeing can be replaced by a custom error page by modifying the "defaultRedirect" attribute of the application's <customErrors> configuration tag to point to a custom error page URL.

<!-- Web.Config Configuration File -->

<configuration>
<system.web>
<customErrors mode="RemoteOnly" defaultRedirect="mycustompage.htm"/>
</system.web>
</configuration>

Apparently I just need to quit for the day! It's getting worse by the minute. 

0 Kudos

You might get more in information if you try to view the website from the local machine.  You'll probably want to open a support ticket for this one.

0 Kudos

Hi Josh,

I just wiped out the website and ran the config.  I didnt have any customizations..so no harm.  looks like everything is back now.

thanks

0 Kudos

I am having the same issue and nothing I have done so far has worked to correct this problem.

Stopped and started the Module Engine

Re-applied SP1

Stopped and started all Orion services.

Any help would be appreciated.

0 Kudos

Are there any errors in the Windows Event Log?  If you browse to the website from the local box, you should get a more detailed error report. What does it say? 

0 Kudos

I fixed this by running through the configuration wizard for Orion.

Why would this happen and how can this be fixed in the future so this does not happen?

Nothing was done to the server over the weekend this just appeared to stop working. Same error on the local machine as any other machine connecting to the site.

0 Kudos

We seem to have this happen everytime there is a glitch with the database.   The rest of solarwinds seems to recover fine, but the APM seems to try to reconnect 6 or so times, then gives up, and doesn't restart until we run the configuration wizard and have it redo the services.  
0 Kudos