This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

APM group woes

Quite frustrated setting up APM groups.

Basically what I want to do is to build my groups off of Dynamic queries.

The dynamic query I'm attempting would be something like this.

Orion Object is Application

Node - Custom field is App1

This would in theory grab all the application monitors tagged by the node custom field as belonging to App1.

However it does not appear APM supports any of my node custom properties within the query window.

so...

I was going to punt and use the location or description field and manually input the data there however that seems like it may come back to haunt me later.

Is it possible to somehow get the queries to support the custom node properties field?

Can I somehow other create my groups directly in the database?

• Unfortunately it is currently not possible to use dynamic query for applications and use node's custom property in condition.

It would be possible to define group members directly in the database, but please note that if you decide to do that, you might break something in your database and get it to a broken state which APM (and also SW support reps) will not support.

You have been warned if you still want to do it, then you can try following:

Members of a group are stored in ContainerMemberDefinitions table. You can create a new test group, add a few objects to it and then check content of this table. You will see that most records here are almost the same, only IDs of objects are different in Expression and Definition columns. You can insert more rows in the same format and these newly added items will become members of a group. 

It will be probably necessary to restart SolarWinds Information Service after you do any changes to this table.

• Thanks

I've manually updated the location field in the meantime. I do hope custom properties makes it into the next rev of dynamic queries.