This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

APM Statistic Data and Alert Manager

I am unable to pull any APM statistic data in Advanced Alert Manager.  Regardless of whether I am using this stat as a parameter or simply posting the data as part of a notification, I get empty values.  APM shows the stat data correctly in the GUI, buy it seems that this value does  not get passed to Alert Manager.  Anyone else run into this or have a suggestion?

• mstolle, can you post a screenshot of the alert you're trying to make where you are trying to use the APM component statistic as a parameter of the alert? 

• I have a file that gets overwritten each day at 7:00PM.  I need to verify that this happened.  It's the same file name in the same location all the time.  So I set up a File Age monitor which is polling every 5 minutes (polling time based on how long from the time the file changes to the time I need to alert).  I Figured I could pass the File Age Data Statistic to Alert Manager.  I have the alert set up to alert from 7:10PM - 7:20PM.  I figured that I could look at the Stat Data and if the stat was greater than 1, then the file was not updated in the past hour and the transaction did not take place.  It didn't work.  So I took out the stat as a condition and simply made the alert fire off no matter what, and added the stat data as a field passed in the email alert.  It shows no value.Tried a number of different things a number of different times...

My workaround is to set the warning threshold appropriately and alert based on the threshold.  This is the same workaround another thwack user is stuck with.  The unfortunate side effect of this is that now I have an app monitor that is always warning...

11k nodes,1400+ APM monitors, dozens of users watching the multiple dashboards we have built, so this is less than ideal.  I need to either get the stat data working or build a separate job to watch this.  My life would be easier if APM passed the stat data, or even better, offered me the ability to choose a time to fire off a monitor rather than an interval, but I'll take what I can get.

• mstolle,

Without seeing the trigger condition of your alert, I can only guess at the problem.

My first theory is that you've selected "APM: Application" as the property type of your alert instead of "APM: Component".  Applications don't have statistics, only components have.

If you have an APM: Component trigger condition similar to the following, it *should* alert you if any APM component with the name "Age of filename.txt" has a statistic greater than 1.

Trigger Alert when all of the following apply:
    -Component Name is equal to Age Of filename.txt
    -Statistic Data is greater than 1

If that's not the case, let me know, and I'll try to come up with another theory.   If it's at all possible to post your Trigger Condition here in some fashion, that would help immensely.

• Also, one of our devs just pointed out to me that if you're using the Test button to test an APM alert, it may fail.

The "Test" button in the Manager Alerts dialog doesn't fully support Orion APM applications. It provides a means for selecting the node to test against, but does not provide a similar means to specify which application on the node to test.

• Roger,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.  It is a component monitor and I'm not using the test button to test the alert..  It is defined as follows:

As you can see, I'm using APM:Component

Right now my statistic data is showing 21 on the APM GUI, but it does not trigger the Alert.  So I removed the Statistic Data parameter in my trigger - making the alert go off all the time, and added ${StatisticData} to the email alert that gets sent out.  It returns an empty value.

• mstolle,

Well, I'm stumped. You're configuring the alert correctly. I tested it myself. Using your exact alert with ${StatisticData} I correctly get alert entries in my event log that my testfile is 13298.45 hours old.

So whatever the issue is, it's not with how you're configuring the alert. I'll drop a note to the support rep handling your case to that effect.

• Roger,

Any update on mstolle's case? Im about to set up some file age monitors myself and was hoping to create alerts based on statistic data
  • Looks like it was fixed in 3.1, so fire away TGhosh.