This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

APM Monitor vs Application alerts

I am rolling out the APM 2.5 soon, (upgrade from legacy Application monitor) and need some input regarding best strategies for whether to alert our admins via email for the application status or just the monitor status.  I have all my templates built and assigned to the nodes. 

Which do you alert on, Application, monitor, or both?

Do you create advanced alerts for all different kinds of monitors?  or just include a bunch of blank fields for say SNMP when a Windows service monitor is being alerted on?

Is there any report that can tie the status of the components together with those of the application?  (Like components grouped by application template?)

Can anyone provide a sample of the email that they are sending to their admins?  Mine so far is below.

Subject:  Medium Alert - Application Monitor:  ${ComponentName} on ${NodeName} is ${ComponentStatus}

**********************************************************************************************
Node Information for ${SQL:select caption from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

Name:  ${NodeName}

Status:  ${SQL:select StatusDescription from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

IP Address:  ${SQL:select IP_Address from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

Last Boot:  ${SQL:select lastboot from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

Fully Qualified Domain Name:  ${SQL:select dns from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

Percent Memory Used:  ${SQL:select PercentMemoryUsed from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

Node CPU Utilization:  ${SQL:select cpuload from nodes where nodeid = ${NodeID}}

Node Page:  SERVERNAME/.../NodeDetails.aspx
**********************************************************************************************

Application Name (Vendor - Product - Protocol):  ${ApplicationName}

Component Name (Monitoring Type - Service):  ${ComponentName}

Display Type:  ${DisplayType}

Application Availability:  ${ApplicationAvailability};   Component Status:  ${ComponentStatus}

Last Time up:  ${LastTimeUp}

Component Response Time:  ${ComponentResponseTime}

Process Name:  ${ProcessName}

Process Status:  ${ProcessStatus}

Percent Memory Used:  ${ProcessPercentMemory}

Process Memory Used:  ${ProcessMemoryUsed}

Process Percent CPU:  ${ProcessPercentCPU}

Process Instance Count:  ${ProcessInstanceCount}

Process Percent Availability:  ${Process_Percent_Availability}

Service Process Name:  ${ServiceProcessName}

Service Status:  ${Service_Status}

Service Percent Availability:  ${Service_Percent_Availability}

Service Memory Used:  ${ServiceMemoryUsed}

Service Percent Memory:  ${ServicePercentMemory}

Service Percent Virtual Memory Used:  ${ServiceVirtualMemoryUsed}

Services Percent Virtual Memory:  ${ServicePercentVirtualMemory}

Service Percent CPU:  ${ServicePercentCPU}

For more information please visit:  SERVERNAME/.../MonitorDetails.aspx

Thanks

Steve

Network Engineer

• 1) I believe you want to know whether we alert on application monitors or application components? I usually create the trigger conditions based on application monitors. However, I'll usually define my alerts of type APM: Component so that I can include the name, status and status/error description in the alert message that is produced.

2) I can't say that I understand your second question.

3) Are you looking for a report that will display all of the applications along with their components? If so, you'll probably need to create a new Advanced SQL report and use the following SQL statement that I based off of one of the APM component reports.

SELECT distinct APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ApplicationName AS Application_Name, APM_AlertsAndReportsData.ComponentName AS ComponentName FROM APM_AlertsAndReportsData ORDER BY 1 ASC

4) Are you sending all of that in a single message? If so, that's much more thorough than what I use. Each message is a little different based on the target of the alert (i.e. sysadmins will probably received a slightly different message than those for application developers). The crux of each message includes the application name, status and date and time of trigger. Depending on the complexity (or simplicity) of the application monitor, component status may be included as well.