This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

APM - Monitor Oracle Databases

I am trying to use Orion APM to monitor our Oracle databases, but I keep receiving this error message when attempting to connect:

ORA-12541: TNS:no listener

Can anybody advise on how I can get this to work?

• I had confronted same problem to connect the APM to the Oracle Database.

Already installed the SQL*Net to the APM server and could connect the Oracle DB server from the APM server via SQL*Plus without problem.

Known that the SQL*Plus connect with the Oracle DB via tnsnames.ora.

TEST_TNS

(

(CONNECT_DATA =
        (SID = TEST)

)

)

But when the APM tried to connect with either "TEST_TNS" or "TEST", it displayed the error messages as "ORA-12514".

Look forward to your reply as early as possible.

• Hi all,

Solarwinds support mentioned that their dev team identified the problem, but without good explanation and any workaround.    Just mentioned that this will be fixed in coming APM 3.0, but does not know when it will be available. 

Best Regards.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to ivantsui

Ivantsui, if you want to test whether your issue is actually fixed, you might consider signing up for the 3.0 Beta.

• Today I successfully add my oracle database to APM. 

What I did: 

1. Added the listener IP as a node in NPM

2. In APM, assign the customised oracle template to this node. 

3. Set the credentials for oracle 

4. Lastly. set the net service name inside each of the components. 

Hope these info helps. 

• Please help to provide your version of NPM and APM.

And also please help to provide the version of Oracle DB.

Please let us know what your tnsname inside the tnsnames.ora and also listener.oora.    Does your "Service Name" and "Net Service Name" inside the Oracle Template is equal to tnsname or SID in the database server?

My problem is very strange as ok to connect the Oracle DB (9i or 10g) in using "tnsping" and "SQL*PLUS" with same credential and tnsnames, but just not OK for the Oracle Template.

But Solarwinds development team had identified that this is a bug inside APM and will be fixed in coming APM 3.0.

• Found that the APM Oracle Template may use Global Database Name as database_name.database_domain rather than the SID or SERVICE_NAME.

The database_domain is named when creating the database instance.

No confirmation from Solarwinds as above is only test results.   

Also no information if coming APM 3.0 may follow same way or not.

• Hi Ivan,

Net Service Name same as SID. 

Oracle in APM - I add the node using the listener IP instead of the physical DB Server IP.

Regards

Carol