cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

APM Evaluation - Manual Uninstall?

Jump to solution

Okay, so my evaluation was about to run out, so I decided to go ahead and uninstall it for now, until we've decided to jump into the full purchase.

I went to Add / Remove Programs, found the evaluation, and selected "Uninstall".

Everything seemed to work well enough, the configuration wizard came up afterwards, and I ran through it, like always.

Needless to say, now my website gives me the dreaded:

APM SERVICE UNAVAILABLE
The website is unable to communicate with the APM Service Engine.
There was no response from the APM Service Engine located at <servername>:17605

My problem now is that although APM is uninstalled, it still appears to be detected by Orion. I've looked through the web site, and can see that the APM folders are still there. The APM Job services are still installed, but cannot run.

I ran the configuration wizard again, but to no avail. Is there a manual uninstaller for APM? Is this a known issue?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Thanks for the doc fix. I've updated the Release Notes and they should be posted this evening. I'm guessing your rebuild fixed the rest of the issue?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Level 14

Hi,

Have you taken a look at this procedure?

http://www.solarwinds.com/support/apm/docs/ReleaseNotes/releaseNotes.htm#Uninstalling

We have a known issue with the service sticking around after uninstall.

Let me know if that helps.

0 Kudos

Thank you! There are a few errors in that document, however, just so everyone knows. The delete services commands should be as follows:

sc delete SolarWindsJobScheduler
sc delete SolarWindsJobEngine

Needless, I am still stuck. After all that, and running the config wizard, I now get the following error:

Orion Website Error
System.Web.HttpException: The file '/Orion/APM/Resources/Summary/DownApplications.ascx' does not exist.

And followed by a number of exceptions and code references. Any more ideas?

P.S. - I'm just about to migrate the Orion web server to a new box... if this ends up being too detailed or cumbersome, I may just push my migration date up to today, and forget this whole messy incident.

0 Kudos

Have you already deleted to APM website directory (C:\Inetpub\SolarWinds\Orion\APM)?

0 Kudos

Yup - I assume this is why I'm getting the new error saying that it can't find that file. It seems like Orion still thinks APM is installed.

0 Kudos

Thanks for the doc fix. I've updated the Release Notes and they should be posted this evening. I'm guessing your rebuild fixed the rest of the issue?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Pretty much, thanks. I think the uninstaller is a little incomplete in that if an APM module is associated with a particular view, that view will fail with the error I previously specified until you go to the admin console and remove it. Either the documentation should be updated to reflect the need to manually remove all APM modules from active views BEFORE the uninstall, or preferably, the uninstaller should do it for you.

Thanks again for all your help.

0 Kudos