cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 9

APM: Application Discovery Speed

Jump to solution

Quick question... we have APM deployed and only have 950 +/- nodes enabled.  All is well and we have no performance issues or taxed hardware for APM.  When I start an application discovery it takes several days to complete and I don't feel this should be the case.  What can be done to speed this up?

Example: I have an application discovery running looking for *only* IIS using the "built-in" application template for IIS in APM 4.0.2.  I started this application scan and told it to only discover against 930 Windows servers already in APM.  It has been running for 15 hours and has only moved through 210 servers.  At this rate, it will be Thursday or Friday before it is finished.  Is this amount of time expected?

Thanks!!!

Jed

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Product Manager
Product Manager

This is actually not unusual. While we're striving to improve application discovery as a whole there are some limitations that inhibit performance. For instance, application discovery is a background task that has very low priority. This is to ensure that on even the most taxed APM server the application discovery process does not interfere with regular polling. WAN Links and high latency connections also slow down application discovery because the process is serial, longer responses slow down the overall  application discovery process. Ideally you would know where you IIS servers are and manually assign application templates to the nodes but in an environment of your size it's easy to understand why this is easier said than done.

We're tracking your request internally as FB77519

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Product Manager
Product Manager

This is actually not unusual. While we're striving to improve application discovery as a whole there are some limitations that inhibit performance. For instance, application discovery is a background task that has very low priority. This is to ensure that on even the most taxed APM server the application discovery process does not interfere with regular polling. WAN Links and high latency connections also slow down application discovery because the process is serial, longer responses slow down the overall  application discovery process. Ideally you would know where you IIS servers are and manually assign application templates to the nodes but in an environment of your size it's easy to understand why this is easier said than done.

We're tracking your request internally as FB77519

View solution in original post

0 Kudos

Thanks for the quick response!  While this makes perfect sense, it would be very nice to be able to throttle or change the priority of such scans.

Thanks!

0 Kudos