This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

APC UPS Alerting

Hello all!  I am a relative newbie to Solarwinds and have been tasked with replacing our aging Ipswitch WhatsUp monitoring platform.  Currently, I am working on alerting for my APC UPS devices.  If I am correct, I can poll OID 1.3.6.1.4.1.318.1.1.1.4.1.1 for pretty much all the information I need and I can see the status correctly.  Knowing little about SQL, how do I show the status of the particular poller in an e-mail or SMS alert?  Are there any templates for APC alerting out there?  I have been unable to find any as of yet.

Thank you in advance!

• Provided you have NPM you can use the Universal Device Pollers I've created and posted here ->

You can then use the Advanced Alert Manager macros to pass any information about the UnDP as part of the Alert.

UnDP Macros.png

• I was going down that path actually, but I stink at the SQL variables.  I will keep digging in, thanks.

• If those universal device pollers don't meet your needs you should be able to dig into the MIBs and pull whatever data you want to build a custom poller.  I use a combination of APC pollers and the universal pollers from AlterEgo's link.  Here is a screenshot with some of the values we get, the battery time remaining on all the APC units in a table form is down near the bottom (not displayed)

Capture2.JPG

• I'm pulling the data I would like to alert on.  I am trying to build out an alert which will page me when the status of the UPS changes and what the current status is. So when the APC_UPS_Status changes from OnLine to say, OnBattery, I will get that information in an SMS and E-mail.

pastedImage_0.png

Here is my trigger:

Status is equal to UPS

Poller Name is equal to APC_UPS_Status

Status is not equal to OnLine

I was hoping to get the alert to provide me a text stating the following where the "Status" field will show OnLine, OnBattery, etc.

Severity: P1

Device: ${Node.SysName}

Time: ${Date} ${LongTime}

Instructions:  Assign to Server Team

Can someone help?

• Based on the UnDPs I created/posted above, the following alert definition should meet your requirement. I took liberty of assuming you have a custom property defined for severity.

UPS AlertTrigger Condition.png

UPS Alert Email.png

• Got it!  I removed all the pollers and recreated them.  Looks like monitoring is now working.  thanks!

• I am having some issues with UPS alerting as I have recently added all our UPS's in SW.  2 issues I am having point to a specific UPS that I am not getting alerts on issues.  #1 I have an alert setup like this (see attached) trigger conditions).  Have I set up the trigger conditions wrong?

#2 The UPS shows batteries need replaced on the unit and if I telnet into it but if I look under status This is what it lists:  Is this an SNMP problem or a Solar Winds problem?

Universal Device Poller Status

POLLER NAME  CURRENT STATUS  LAST POLLED

Default Group

iemStatusProbeCurrentTemp  1 value(s)  

upsAdvBatteryCapacity  100  10:15 AM

upsAdvBatteryTemperature  57  10:15 AM

upsAdvInputLineVoltage  120 v  10:15 AM

upsAdvOutputLoadCapacity  6  10:15 AM

upsBasicBatteryStatus  batteryNormal(2)  10:15 AM

UPStemp.jpgThanks much for any input.

• I believe the property you're looking for in your Trigger Condition is not "Status", bur "Numeric Status" or "Rate".

• I use SNMP traps to handle these conditions.

apc-battery.jpg

• As a followup (and in case anyone else stumbles across this thread)

I had to use the upsBasicOutputStatus and Value for my conditions.

pastedImage_1.png