This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

AD Replication

Does anyone use SW to monitor AD Replication?  I realize SW will monitor Windows Event Viewer for failed replication codes but I am looking to monitor replication success and the amount of time replication took.

Any suggestions?

Any other cool things to utilize SW with Active Directory?

• If you want something beyond events and built in counters there are a bunch of scripts that you could modify to run and capture other data. That said, what problem are you trying to fix? I always try to start there, when X breaks, Y is like Z. I monitor Y and alert on Z. With AD we haven't had issues that wasn't covered in the Solarwinds provided AD template: Active Directory 2008 R2 - 2012 Services and Counters but if you do, give some details and lets figure something out.

• Currently no problem.  We did have a domain controller go down previously so we are trying to proactive and get our monitoring complete.  We run 7 domain controllers in our environment.  My boss wants to be able to get reports if the replication failed or is taking excess amount of time.  He also would like to have a report showing the times of replication. 

• I'd take something like this: Script Check the AD replication status forest wide and send HTML report and schedule it. But you can build it into a SAM template, if you haven't written one yet, then find a powershell monitor thats been shared and use it as an example. Its not hard, but it is specific.

• Active Directory Replication to return the number of errors and how long ago the last successful replication took place.

• So I used the Active Directory Replication template and I am now getting the follow error. 

The return code is different than expected. Testing on node '10.10.1.2' failed with 'Down' status ('Down' might be different if script exits with a different exit code).

ERROR: Incorrect replication scenario or wrong arguments. Please use "repadmin /showrepl" command to see available replication scenarios.

• Did you configure the Script Arguments? The Script Arguments will need to be configured/customized to match your domain and domain controllers when you assign the template. If the script can't find those specific values in the output from the repadmin /showrepl command, it will throw the exact error message you're seeing.

• I have a similar issue where I've been tasked with making a SW dashboard showing replication stats for our DC's, we have about 90. Closest I've got by myself is to have an OOTB Summary view for the AD application which gives me a few things but they're mostly network metrics, response times etc. I've also found some PS scripts that monitor for event log codes for successful replication and actions, and I'm hoping between monitoring success events and failure events I can work out some magic.

Did you get any further with this? I'd be very interested as to what everyone else is coming up with.