This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

A Quest! Find hardware resources that are hiding from The Eye of Orion

Recently, while wandering through the 'List Resources' page of a dark node, I discovered several enchanted fixed disks that were not being watched by the Eye of Orion. Being unnerved, but not paralyzed by fright, I unleashed a click storm attack on the rogue check boxes. Then, opening my book of spells, I consumed 4 mana to conjure a report of all other un-watched disks that might be lurking in the shadows. The sound of clicks echoed back to me. This Paladin of Uptime now returns to the Thwack Guild in hopes that another intrepid hero might join his quest to eradicate the forest of all other gremlins that would hide from the Eye of Orion.

VolumesNotMonitored.png

Since I did not find an OOB report that would show "all volumes not being monitored," I took to the SWQL Studio to try writing one. Unfortunately, I was unable to find a column in the DB that would let me query un-monitored components. (I'm starting with Volumes, but would want to check for some other items as well.) Assumed it would be in Cortex.Orion.Volume or Orion.Volumes, but no luck. The 'PollState' column contained the values "Initial", "ReadyForPolling", and NULL. The StatCollection column was NULL for all items. The RequestInventory column was False for all items.

Does anyone have better information about how to find unchecked hardware components/resources? I can award at least +10 XP for your help on this quest! emoticons_happy.png

• I have a spell that gives partial results.  It only works on monitored virtual machines.  This is a custom resource view widget.

SELECT vmv.VirtualMachine.Name as VM, vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.Caption as Node, vmv.MountPoint, (vmv.Capacity/1073741824) as CapacityGB, (vmv.FreeSpace/1073741824) as FreespaceGB, vmv.VirtualMachine.DetailsURL as _LinkFor_VM

FROM Orion.VIM.VirtualMachineVolumes as vmv

where

( -- Search for the matching node volume, we only want missing ones (or where the results = 0)

select count(v.Caption) as Matches from Orion.Volumes v

where IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.NodeID,0) = v.NodeID

and (v.Caption like vmv.MountPoint+' %'

or v.Caption = vmv.MountPoint

or v.Caption like SubString(vmv.MountPoint,1,Length(vmv.MountPoint)-1)+' %' )

) = 0

and IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.CustomProperties.ABT_OnCall_Hours,' ') != 'Do Not Call'

and IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.NodeID, 0 ) != 0

and IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.ObjectSubType, ' ') != 'ICMP'

and not ( -- some exceptions

IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Name,' ') like 'tmpl%'

or vmv.MountPoint like '/var/lib/docker/%'

or vmv.MountPoint like 'V:%'

)

• This is GREAT, brscott@arcbtech.com​! I modified the query slightly to remove your custom properties and your V: filter. This query should now work for anybody who follows a similar quest.

SELECT vmv.VirtualMachine.Name as VM, vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.Caption as Node, vmv.MountPoint, (vmv.Capacity/1073741824) as CapacityGB, (vmv.FreeSpace/1073741824) as FreespaceGB, vmv.VirtualMachine.DetailsURL as DetailsURL

FROM Orion.VIM.VirtualMachineVolumes as vmv

where

( -- Search for the matching node volume, we only want missing ones (or where the results = 0)

select count(v.Caption) as Matches from Orion.Volumes v

where IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.NodeID,0) = v.NodeID

and (v.Caption like vmv.MountPoint+' %'

or v.Caption = vmv.MountPoint

or v.Caption like SubString(vmv.MountPoint,1,Length(vmv.MountPoint)-1)+' %' )

) = 0

and IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.NodeID, 0 ) != 0

and IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Node.ObjectSubType, ' ') != 'ICMP'

and not ( -- some exceptions

IsNull(vmv.VirtualMachine.Name,' ') like 'tmpl%'

or vmv.MountPoint like '/var/lib/docker/%'

)

Then, in the table resource, I opened the advanced tab of the DetailsURL column and set the 'Display setting' property to Details Page Link with tooltips enabled.

Table.png

The beauty of this is that now, hovering over the link produces the node details popup right in the report, like this!

Preview.png

Thanks again!

• I submitted a feature request:

The requested demo site would have allowed me to test my swql on a generic install and I would have noticed that I included a custom property.