cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Create Post
Level 10

Report Writer question

Please advise if I am posting in the wrong forum.

I'd like to enable certain users to create new/custom reports, but not have them remote desktop into our Orion server.

Is there any way to allow them to install just the Report Writer component on thier PC or different server and configure that Report Writer to connect to the appropriate database?

Just running into cases where several admins are wanting to log on to manage alerts, and users wanting to log in to create reports.

Windows server only allows two remote desktop sessions at one time(not counting console).

Any thoughts or ideas would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
11 Replies
Level 7

I know that writing a report is a very serious job, but personally, I wrote it only a few times based on the results of the research paper, and in order for the report to be easy to write it was necessary to write a quality and professional research paper. That's why I used the best research paper writing services, which I found through reviews at https://papersbattle.com/best-research-paper-writing-services/. It was very easy and convenient because the results of a quality research paper were very easy to write a report.

0 Kudos
Level 10

Hi all,

does now report writer is able to be downloaded to client pc? if possible how to do it?

0 Kudos

I don't believe so. The Report Writer desktop app has been replaced by the web-based Report Writer within the Orion Web Console. Here is a link to some documentation on the new report writer: Manage reports in the Orion Web Console

0 Kudos
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi gstadter--

This Report Writer Tech Ref might be of some help.

DH

0 Kudos

Hi DanielleH, 

I've checked that document and it doesn't include any reference to connect report writer to a "remote" npm server, dou you have any other reference?

Gstadter:

Have you find any way to connect to the server?

Regards

0 Kudos

no, I've not yet discovered how to enable the individuals that pretty much live in the reporting to be able to edit reports other than using a remote desktop session on the server.    Didn't find anything really relevant to the question in the referenced doc either.

0 Kudos

...how to enable the individuals...to edit reports other than using a remote desktop session on the server.

I've checked with Development to confirm, and, unlike Network Atlas, which you can use from remote locations that can access your SolarWinds database, Report Writer must run on your primary SolarWinds (Orion Core) server. Reports are always viewable remotely, using multiple methods, including exported pdf, web console URL, .xls, and additional web server,  but, if you want the ability to edit reports, you need to log in to the primary server, typically via RDP, and use Report Writer there.

Please feel free to submit a feature request. This thread has also been marked for PM review.

Thanks,

0 Kudos

thanks for the information, could you please post a link to enter the feature request?

0 Kudos

Hi pptmtz--

You can post your feature request here 🙂  Just start a new thread and explain what and why you would like to see this feature in a future release.

Thanks,
DH

0 Kudos

Hi DanielleH,

I would like to know if this feature is now available. I'd like to enable certain users to create new/custom reports, but not have them remote desktop into our Orion server.

Is there any way to allow them to install just the Report Writer component on their PC or different server and configure that Report Writer to connect to the appropriate database?

Best Regards,

Vidhi

Hi Vidhi

Report writer functions now available in latest versions. Scheduling still requires server access

hope this helps

regards

0 Kudos