This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Report Writer - Invalid filter

FormerMember
FormerMember

Where can I find the filter that I need to fix for the following report?

Invalid Filter.
Selected fields are unrelated, cannot generate a valid query.

You need to fix the Filter first.
  •  Could you elaborate on what you are trying to filter on for this report?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to mark_wiggans

Thank you for helping me out. 

What we ran into is a report that does not seem to work.  From our "Home" screen we click reports, expand "Historical Traffic Reports" and select the report "Total Bytes Transferred by Node - Last 7 Days".  we get a page that indicates  the following:

Invalid Filter.
    Selected fields are unrelated, cannot generate a valid query.

You need to fix the Filter first.
  •  It is a bug. What you will need to do is add the interface ID from the select Fields Tab- and make sure that it is above the Total Bytes Received field.

• FormerMember

That worked for that report and I fixed the report for 7 days, last month and this month.  However there is yet another report that I need your help to fix.  Average and Peak Traffic Rates - WAN Interfaces Last 7 Days does not show any info.

• so after pressing the Execute SQL Query you get no data? is there a timeout error?
  • FormerMember

I was running it from a web interface.

I just went into  Report Writer from Net Perf Mon and hit the execute button.  The window is now stuck with an Hour glass, the box indicates "formatting data..."  It began counting down and is now stuck at 3000 records. 

•  Well it sounds like one of two possibilities:

The SQL Server is responding slowly and can't write the report query fast enough.

Check the event logs of both the Orion and SQL Servers and see if there are any events such as "Main Task Data Reader" or "Connection Timeout". Also watch the CPU utilization on the servers when you pull a report - SQL can be a resource hog and perhaps the server just can't keep up with it.

The other possibility is that there is just too much data to be sorted through in a reasonable amount of time. What are your settings as far as keeping old data? You can find these by going to File -> Orion Network Performance Monitor Settings in the System Manager. The Database tab should have this information on it.

You could also try to change the query a bit. Keep in mind that how you order the query has a big impact on the DB response time. Make sure you have the most specific query first. You can also try to incresae the DB timeout varibales.

The timeout settings for SolarWinds that can be adjusted as follows:

Go to C:\Program Files\SolarWinds\Orion and find the file SWNetperfmon.db

Open the file with Notepad.

At the very bottom, there are two timeout values - Connection, and Database Command.

Increase those to 1200 each, save and close the file.

• FormerMember

Thanks again!  It was the timers that fixed it for me.  I set Connection to 60 and Database to 120 and the report runs fine.

I goofed something else up while i was working on this. I was in the Customize Menu Bar screen trying to edit the Top 10 list for one of our logins.  I deleted the Top 10 when I wanted to edit it.  Now it is gone form all of our Menu Bars.  How can I get it back? 

• Thanks again!  It was the timers that fixed it for me.  I set Connection to 60 and Database to 120 and the report runs fine.

I goofed something else up while i was working on this. I was in the Customize Menu Bar screen trying to edit the Top 10 list for one of our logins.  I deleted the Top 10 when I wanted to edit it.  Now it is gone form all of our Menu Bars.  How can I get it back? 

Just click the plus sign to add it back-
  • Mark,

We are having problems with our monthly utilisation reports post upgrade to the latest version of Orion. 

Adding the interfaceID to the report does indeed resurrect the report, but it now forces the listing of every interface, not just one value for the whole node. What we need is the original format back.

Is there any other workaround - or any update when the bug will be fixed.

Thanks,

Julian