This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Is there a way to monitor device interface ip address for changes

Need to know if a device interface ip changes, not if it simply up or down. Is there any way to alert if the IP changes?

Thanks

• Set your trigger like this
    pastedImage_0.png

Now, normally when you add a node to Solarwinds it assume that you are giving it a static address, if the device is using DHCP or is supposed to following a DNS entry you need to make sure to set the edit the node and set it similar to this example

pastedImage_1.png

• This would be to monitor the interfaces on a node with multiple IP connections. Need to know if the IP changes , not if it’s simply up or down.

• I doubt there is anything built in or accessible via the GUI that could do this, but you may e able to cook something up with SQL and custom properties I expect.  The ip addresses associated with an interface are not stored on any kind of historical table so you can't just say if current IP != previousIP.  There is a table in the db called NodeIPAddresses that matches IP addresses to interfaceid's but I've never played with it and don't know off the top of my head if the rediscover job actually even checks for changes there.  Would not be surprised if it only checks when the nodes/interfaces are added so you would want to test this before you built an alert around that info.  If you experiment and confirm that the changes to interface IP addresses are automatically picked up and inserted that table (I'd make a change and leave it overnight since some of these kinds of polls don't happen often) then you could create an interface custom property called something like InterfaceIP, and set up an alert that says something along the lines of any time nodeipaddesses.ipaddress != interfaces.InterfaceIP then trigger the alert to send me a message about the change. Then, if it were me, I would also add an escalation action that waits a period of time (maybe a few hours?) and then has an action to set the custom property of InterfaceIP to be whatever we discovered.  That way the alert will clear itself eventually and also update the IP address to the new one without me having to remember to deal with it manually every time.