cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 7

Credential Test Failed Windows 7

Jump to solution

I found What is my Community String for SolarWinds Real-Time Bandwith Monitor? and saw

"

j5norman,

In Windows 7 you can go into 'Computer Management', select 'Services' on the left pane, then double click 'SNMP Service' in the list on the right pane. Select the 'Security' tab and you will see a list of 'Accepted community name'. If you've never touched it before this list will be empty. Add a new string into the list. If the list is not empty then you can use any string from that list for your community string."

I did go into my 32 bit Windows and created a community name AD023 and put the same name in SolarWinds Real-Time Bandwidth Monitor. However, I get Credential Test Failed.

What is my next step?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Level 12

Re: Credential Test Failed Windows 7

Jump to solution

Did you add the accepted community name on the Security tab? and did you specify the community name in the test?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
16 Replies
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Joe,

Can you tell which option was choosen from the two listed ?

Accept SNMP packets from any host or Accept SNMP packets from these hosts
You should find this option when enabling SNMP Service on your machine.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

The setting was “Accept SNMP packets from these hosts localhost”

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

You'll need to add the monitoring server IP to the list or switch to "allow any."

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

I did make the change to “Accept SNMP packets from any host”

I also tried starting the SNMP Trap Service.

No progress.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Did you add the accepted community name on the Security tab? and did you specify the community name in the test?

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

Yes, that was also necessary to add the community name in the Security tab. As far as community name in the test, I do have the community name in Solarwinds Real-time Bandwidth Monitor if that is what you meant.

I added the community name I put into Windows 7 SNMP trap tab into the Security Accepted Community names under community. I select Rights to be Read Write.

Thanks. I am seeing activity now.

Was the right selection correct? Was SNMP Trap service need to be running?

The next problem is how do I fix the “Counter refresh time is slower than the polling interval”?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

Increase the counter refresh or poll less often. I believe both rates are adjustable.

Highlighted
Level 7

Jump to solution

In the SolarWinds Real-Time Bandwidth Monitor, I did find in Settings Polling interval (ms). It was 5000 and I lower that to 500 which was the lowest allowed. The problem did not clear. Where is the counter refresh?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 12

Jump to solution

You went the wrong direction. Polling interval needs to go up. 5000 ms is 5 seconds. 500 ms is half a second.

0 Kudos