This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

UPDATING ADOBE READER AND ACROBAT PRO TO 11.0.10 WITH DEFAULT MSP PACKAGE DOES NOT WORK - UPDATE IS RECOGNIZED AS NOT APPLICABLE

I am trying to update our Adobe Reader and Acrobat Pro to 11.0.10 using the default MSP packages in Patch Manager.  All of the systems keep reporting as 'NOT APPLICABLE'.  All of the workstations have Reader11.0.09, with about 10% still on 11.0.08 (due to the fact that the reader 11.0.09 package only patched about 2/3 of the systems).  All systems that have Acrobat Pro are 11.0.09.  The packages do not give you the ability to edit the Applicability Rules.  Has anyone else seen this problem?  Know a way to fix this?  I am new to SolarWinds Patch Manager, and any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

• Clarification, exactly which package are you using?

The "Adobe Packages" node contains Full Installer packages for *READER* only. They will not update an Acrobat Professional installation.

The "Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages" node contains content published by Adobe. There are four different catalogs available from Adobe:

• Adobe Systems Acrobat 11 Catalog
    • Adobe Systems Acrobat 10 Catalog
    • Adobe Systems Reader 11 Catalog
    • Adobe Systems Reader 10 Catalog

If you are trying to update Adobe Acrobat Professional installations, you must be using content from the Adobe Systems Acrobat 11 Catalog.

The Adobe Reader updates will NOT update an Acrobat Professional installation.

Beyond that, Acrobat Pro updates have traditionally been incremental, so I would expect that the Acrobat 11.0.10 update will only update Acrobat 11.0.9 systems. Anything earlier would likely first need to be incrementally updated to get to 11.0.9.

• I am using the "Adobe Systems, Inc. Packages" node.

• Adobe Systems Acrobat 11 Catalog
    • Adobe Systems Reader 11 Catalog

I have checked the msp's manually and they will update at least back to 11.0.07 in Reader, and 11.0.0 in Acrobat Pro. (I had an old stand alone system that still had Reader 11.0.07, and I did a new install of Pro and went straight to update 11.0.10)

• Okay. That content is produced by Adobe. Any questions concerning applicability logic or diagnosing why a package reports as NotApplicable when that's not expected would need to be directed to Adobe, as they are solely responsible for that content and its behavior. But, in short, I've rarely seen a package reported as NotApplicable when it actually was, so the better question here is not "What's wrong with the package?" but rather "What's wrong with the target system(s)?"

Note: You cannot edit Applicability or Installed Rules for an MSP-based package because those rulesets are not used. The detection logic is contained within the MSP itself.