This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Task to install any pending updates then shutdown?

Is there a way to have the system first install any downloaded updates then shutdown the computer?  While it seems we can do one or the other I have not found a way to combine both.  I suppose I sould set one task to run first then another to do a shutdown but that could get a bit messy.

Thanks

• If the intent is to explicitly shutdown the computer (as opposed to restart), then this will have to be implemented as two separate tasks. The challenge, of course, is ensuring that the installation task completes prior to engaging the shutdown task.

If the intent is to install only downloaded updates and restart, that functionality can be implemented with the Update Management tool by selecting the "Install Only" option and enabling "Always Reboot" in the post-installation reboot section.

• Yes,  My intent would be to install updates first then shut down.  I already have a shutdown task and I can certainly create an update task but you are correct, it would be a challenge to have one complete before the other.  Thats why i was wondering if we could (feature request here) nest tasks with a priority number or create a task that does both at the same time.  (Install pending updates then shutsdown).  Maybe just changing the option in the Update Management to include shutdown as well as reboot would be the easiest.

Thanks

Chuck

• Hi,

that sounds like a good feature request.

Is it going to be implemented ?

/Lukasz

• Hi Lukasz,

We are planning to have this feature implemented in Q2 or Q3 of this year.

-tonya

[Ed. note: This thread was originally from 2011, and the functionality was implemented in Q1 2011.]

• This feature was implemented in v1.7 and is now available in the Update Management Wizard. You can combine a system shutdown as an automated follow-on task to an installation. The shutdown can be conditional on successful installation only. In addition, we also integrated WakeOnLAN capabilities, so you can [a] Power-On a system, [b] Apply updates, and [c] Power-Down a system, all as a single integrated task declaration, which can be run on-demand, or scheduled.