This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Synchronisation Errors

Hi,

I noticed that I had not recieved a google chrome update, and so checked the synchronisation process and found that it has been failing for a couple of weeks. If I manually attempt to connect to the path ('https://3pupcontent.solarwinds.com/Content/Fetch') it has a certificate problem, however I can still connect. The error I am getting is as follows;

Name:    EminentWare Update Catalog
Result:    Failed
Started:    14/03/2012 10:28:31
Finished:    14/03/2012 10:28:33
Type:    Manual
Message:    Unexpected website connection issue when trying to download 'https://3pupcontent.solarwinds.com/Content/Fetch': The underlying connection was closed: Could not establish trust relationship for the SSL/TLS secure channel.
New Updates:    0
Revised Updates:    0
ID:    7a7ba172-0deb-4cfe-bf01-df6d43ac998c
Expired Updates:    0
New Security Updates:    0
New Critical Updates:    0
Expired Security Updates:    0
Expired Critical Updates:    0
Revised Security Updates:    0
Revised Critical Updates:    0
Products with Security Updates:   
Products with Critical Updates:   
Has Changes:    False

Thanks in advance.

• What version of the Extension Pack do you have installed?

From the EminentWare (root) node, click on Version.

• No, that is the current version.

Please log onto the SolarWinds Customer Portal and submit a ticket regarding your certificate authentication issue.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to solarwinds-admin

Good Day,

Were you able to get this issue resolved? Thank you.

• Greetings Jeff.

I believe the original issue (which was migrated over from the EminentWare forums site, so we've lost the identity of the original poster) was related to a customer-specific issue with the solarwinds.com SSL certificate.

Is your question one of curiosity, or are you experiencing issues with catalog synchronizations?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to LGarvin

Lawrence,

I too am having the same issue and currently have a ticket open. I am able to download the cab file by accessing the following from
    within IE as instructed by support:

'https://3pupcontent.solarwinds.com/Content/Fetch'

However, I have to first click OK to proceed past the website
    security cert warning. I have also added the site to the Trusted Sites within
    IE as instructed by support, but he results are the same. Thank you.

• I read the ticket history ... given that the browser is giving you a certificate warning, that would suggest that the machine you are browsing from does not have the SolarWinds SSL certificate installed.

Adding the site to "Trusted Sites" won't help at all if the SSL Certificate is not downloaded and installed. I think the question revolves around why there's an issue with the certificate. I'm unable to reproduce the error in my instance of IE8.

If you navigate to Internet Options -> Content -> Certificates, and click on the "Certificates" button, do you have any entries in the Personal store for SolarWinds?

In the same dialog, select the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" tab. Do you have entries there for SolarWinds? Do you have entries for Thawte?

Are any of the above that do exist expired?

Does this machine have KB2661254 installed?

Does this machine have KB931125 (April 2012) installed?

What OS is running on this machine? If Win2008/Win2008R2, is the "Root Certificates Update" feature enabled?

If none of the above produces any actionable leads, can you paste up a screencap of the warning dialog you are receiving?

• FormerMember

Internet Options -> Content -> Certificates

Personal store for SolarWinds? - No

In the same dialog, select the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" tab. Do you have entries there for SolarWinds? - No

Do you have entries for Thawte? Yes

Are any of the above that do exist expired? All Thawte certs are valid

Does this machine have KB2661254 installed? - No - At this time i have installed KB2734608 and deployed new Self Signed certs, so I belive that I still need to install this, can you confirm?

Does this machine have KB931125 (April 2012) installed? - No

What OS is running on this machine? If Win2008/Win2008R2, is the "Root Certificates Update" feature enabled? - No

• I would suggest installing the April 2012 KB931125, enabling the Root Certificates Update feature, and then you should be able to install the SolarWinds SSL certificates.

My educated guess is that you do not have the current Thawte Root CA certificate, and thus the requisite SSL certificates cannot be installed (i.e. are not trusted).

Internet Options -> Content -> Certificates

Personal store for SolarWinds? - No

In the same dialog, select the "Trusted Root Certification Authorities" tab. Do you have entries there for SolarWinds? - No

The operational cause of the synchronization failure is that the requisite SSL certificate is not being installed, or cannot be installed, in the certificate store.

• FormerMember

Lawrence,

I ran April 2012 KB931125 and was able to access via IE without the cert warning. I then ran a successfully sync. I will now enable the Root Cert Update Feature and would think that this should resolve now and moving forward. Thank you for your assistance.