This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Post Testing - Changing the Service Account for Data Grid Server = Fails to start

Hello.

I need to change the service account that runs the EminentWare Data Grid Server service.  

I have ensured that the new account has administrator rights, logon as service, SQL DBO (for Eminentware DB) and SYSADMIN for SQL Server (to be sure).

I get a service failure.  Enabling logging shows me this error during the initiatlisation process:

2012/03/14 12:39:38:935 PID: 5280 TID: 7080 KeyManager::InitializeKeys::VerifyRegistryHive() 'Software\EminentWare\Data Grid Service\Roles\Application' opened
2012/03/14 12:39:38:935 PID: 5280 TID: 7080 KeyManager::InitializeKeys::VerifyRegistryHive() 'Software\EminentWare\Data Grid Service\Roles\Application\Data' opened
2012/03/14 12:39:38:951 PID: 5280 TID: 7080 InitSystem failed!!Key not valid for use in specified state.

2012/03/14 12:39:38:951 PID: 5280 TID: 7080    at System.Security.Cryptography.ProtectedData.Unprotect(Byte[] encryptedData, Byte[] optionalEntropy, DataProtectionScope scope)
   at EminentWare.Core.Security.Encryption.DecryptDPAPIWithEntropyBytes(String base64Ciphertext, Byte[] entropybytes)
   at EminentWare.BusinessObjects.Security.encryptionmanager.DecryptDPAPI(String base64Ciphertext)
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.KeyManager.InitializeKeys()
2012/03/14 12:39:38:951 PID: 5280 TID: 7080 ExecutiveSubSystem::LoadSubSystems() failed. InitSystem failed!!Key not valid for use in specified state.

Stack Trace:    at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.KeyManager.InitializeKeys()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.KeyManager.Initialize()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.SecurityManagerSubSystem.Initialize()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.ExecutiveSubSystem.LoadSubSystems()
2012/03/14 12:39:38:951 PID: 5280 TID: 7080 DataGridService::StartExecutive() failed. Message: InitSystem failed!!Key not valid for use in specified state.

Stack Trace:    at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.KeyManager.InitializeKeys()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.KeyManager.Initialize()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.SecurityManagerSubSystem.Initialize()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.ExecutiveSubSystem.LoadSubSystems()
   at EminentWare.DataGridServer.Executive.ExecutiveSubSystem.Start()
   at EminentWare.DataGridService.DataGridService.StartExecutive()
2012/03/14 12:39:39:154 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 Data Grid Service OnStart() DGSStarting mutex not opened and will retry. Message: No handle of the given name exists.
2012/03/14 12:39:39:154 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 Data Grid Service OnStart() Startup Exception occurred and will shutdown.
2012/03/14 12:39:39:170 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 Data Grid Service OnStart() failed to start service. Message: InitSystem failed!!Key not valid for use in specified state.

Stack Trace:    at EminentWare.DataGridService.DataGridService.OnStart(String[] args)
2012/03/14 12:39:39:170 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 Data Grid Service OnStop() called.
2012/03/14 12:39:39:201 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 Data Grid Service ShutdownExecutive() called.
2012/03/14 12:39:39:201 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 ExecutiveSubSystem::Shutdown() called and will set the shutdown event.
2012/03/14 12:39:39:217 PID: 5280 TID: 1632 Data Grid Service ShutdownExecutive() executing thread count is: 17

Is this easy to resolve?

Kind Regards,

Ash

• Hi, Ash.

Changing that service account is a bit involved. Did you do everything in the following article?

Changing the account or password used for the EminentWare Data Grid Server service

Hopefully that helps.

Thanks.

• Good stuff - it was just the registry changes that I was missing, thank-you for pointing me in the right KB direction.

Bit I needed was:

Clear the MEKey and MPKey strings in the Registry:

1. Open Registry Editor (regedit).
    2. Expand HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\EminentWare\Data Grid Service\Roles\Application, and then select Data.
    3. Select MEKey, and then click Edit > Modify.
    4. Clear the Value data field, and then click OK.
    5. Do the same for the MPKey string.

All running smoothly now.

Ash

• Hi Phil.

Ok - a bit premature on the "good stuff" comment.   Although all seems well with the service - I can no longer do anything on the WSUS drill down.   I have double checked all credentials etc but nothing makes any difference.

The error I get when drilling down to the WSUS for either Update views or computer views is:

Source: Csla
    Exception occurred at 14/03/2012 15:48:10: Data is Null. This method or property cannot be called on Null values.
    DataPortal_Execute method call failed
    DataPortal.Update failed

Even changing the credentials back I still cannot drill down.   And even deleting and re-registering brings up a different error:

Is there something else I need to check/change?

• Did you complete all of the steps in the article in order? The reason I ask is because the "Data Is Null" message is common when the MEKey and MPKey are cleared after changing the credentials in the console.

The proper order is:

1. Stop the service.
    2. Clear the Registry keys.
    3. Start the service.
    4. Change the credentials in the console.

Hopefully that does the trick. If not, you might have to submit a Support ticket.

Thanks.

• Hi Phil.

I am pretty sure I did do it in the correct order. 

I have re-ran through the process in the correct order several times now but to no avail.  Think a ticket is needed.

Will post any fix or results from troubleshooting here for future reference.

Thanks for your help again.

• Fixed.   One note however, it seems that ALL credentials listed must have each password updated following the key clearance & system restart. 

I was concenrating on only the new account, not updating the old ones (even if redundant).   I think this is what led me to experience this issue.

Case now closed with SolarWinds Support.

Regards,

Ash

• Yes, I also change only the passwords I needed to change and did not clear the old ones. I did clear the password on the application server. However you have to go to Security and User Management and reenter every password there. That will clear the problem.