This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

How can I remove published packages from WSUS?

FormerMember
FormerMember

I am using Patch Manager 1.85.474.0 and SCCM 2007

I've previously published software packages that show up in my SCCM 2007 software search lists.  Search lists in SCCM are populated based on what has been published to WSUS through Patch Manager.  I see a lot of old packages that I'd prefer to just get rid of as it would save space and get them out of my way.  There is also a lot of software in my search list that I didn't end up actually deploying so the obsessive compulsive side of me wants to clean house by getting rid of the clutter!

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

• This will remove then from SCCM Repository:

In Patch Manager: Right Click on the Package you want removed > Edit > Next > Next > Advanced > check the box "Expired" > OK > click "Next" a few more times to finish the wizard.

You will then need to publish the update again so it is seen as expiring by WSUS/SCCM.

Upon the next SCCM/WSUS sync it should flag it as expired.  You should be able to check "wsyncmgr.log" on the SCCM server to verify.

After expiring, i believe it can take a week or two to actually disappear.

• Since we are on the subject...

it would be great is we can just simply "right click" and select "Expire" then get some "Are you sure you want to expire this update?" Dialog...rather than having to do a deep dive into each package.

• The expired updates will only disappear from the Configuration Manager Update Repository.

After the ConfigMgr repository is updated, you have two additional options to complete their removal from the SUP:

• Regular use of the Server Cleanup Wizard will delete expired updates 90 days after the date of expiration.
    • With Patch Manager, the updates can be explicitly deleted on-demand, or via a scheduled event.

You can, btw, expire a published update from the WSUS node of the Patch Manager console.

Select the update from an update view, right click, select Expire.

However, the methodology you describe to expire the package and then publish an expired revision is the best practice, but it does have one caveat: If you've published an original SolarWinds package, then setting the Expired checkbox in the package definition is a transient event -- it will be updated (read: overwritten) with the original package content, as published, during the next scheduled catalog synchronization event. If the package is a user-defined package, then I definitely recommend modifying the package definition and publishing the revision.

So, despite the 'best practice', if you're expiring a stock package, the simpler solution really is to just use the "Expire" action from the WSUS update view in the Patch Manager console.,