This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Help - At least once a day Patch Manger Console stops functioning and server must be rebooted

Every day for the past week (usually first thing in the morning) when Patch Manger Console is opened it connects, but after drilling down to anything and clicking you get a spinning hourglass.  Nothing ever returns and after an hour I end up rebooting the server.  Then the Patch Manger Console seems to work for a short time (less than 24 hours).  The Windows Event logs have nothing and the SolarWinds services are running.  I even tried to manually restart each and every SolarWinds service including EminentWare Data Grid Server, but that doesn’t help.

Anybody seen this? Any suggestion on how to fix?

• Never seen that before, is there anything other than Patch Manager running on that server? E.g. something using SQL Express.

That would be the only thing I can think of that might slow you down with the console interface.

• I have to concur.  Since day one PM has been solid as a rock for me.  However I never use a remote console.  I always RDP to the server and run the local console just due to better response time.

• I'll add some more context as I worked on this issue in a support case with scottk. Turned out there was quite a large discovery set up that eating up cpu until the server became unusable.

• After working with support (David Di Blasio) they found that my discovery task was very large. Viewing the Discovery Subnets and found several misconfigured subnets (e.g. /16  network (32,768 hosts) instead of /24 (256 hosts)). I ended up deleting the all the discovery tasks and discovery subnets and recreated them based upon the new discovery subnets. This resolved the problem.

• Glad you got it fixed Scott. I had a similar item a few years ago. Still do not have AD hooked up with Patch Manager., so I do have to be careful creating tasks. I did reduce the size of the cache for the Task History down to a few days and that helped as well. I still notice slow downs when running large tasks like inventory but we only run that once a week.