This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Failed to publish [Package name]. CreateDirectory failed

I've just installed the Patch Manager upgrade 1.85.490. But now have what appears to be 2 issues.

1. The Server Manager no longer loads the Windows Server Update Services snap-in.
    1. I get an error saying that MMC has detected an error in a snap-in and will unload it.
    2. I read the article Adding PM snap-in to MMC and tried the fix but this didn't fix my problem.
    3. This is a lesser issue than #2.
  2. I'm now getting an error when publishing updates to WSUS.
    1. This is the error message.  Package: [Package name] Status: Failure Message: Failed to publish [Package name]. CreateDirectory failed.
    2. The Patch Manager Console loads fine without error
    3. I read this article Issues with latest WSUS update (wsus-kb2720211) and tried some of the suggestions but have had no luck.

KB2734608 update is installed already. A re-install of this fails with a 1603 as does an attempt to install KB2720211.

I'm getting Event ID's 12002, 12012, 12032, 12022, 12042, 12052 and 13042 for Windows Software Update Services.

I'm getting a System Service MSSQL$MICROSOFT##SSEE Not Available.

Any assistance greatly appreciated.

• Here's a Solarwinds KB article that has more information regarding your first issue with the MMC snap-in.

http://knowledgebase.solarwinds.com/kb/questions/4448

The second issue does look to be caused by a problem with WSUS itself. Have you tried restarting the server yet? Did you confirm the WID is running?

• This problem has been fixed. These were the steps followed to repair WSUS.

• Using WSUS30-KB972455-x64.exe, uninstalled WSUS SP2 from the PM server.
    • Granted the Datagrid Server service account the sysadmin role in SQL for the instance of the WSUS database.
    • Using the WSUS30-KB972455-x64.exe and the Datagrid Server service account I re-installed WSUS SP2
    • Re-applied the patch KB2734608.
    • Set the application pool for WSUS to .net4.0

Not entirely sure what was broken and why this process fixed it but it did.