This discussion has been locked. The information referenced herein may be inaccurate due to age, software updates, or external references.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a similar question you can start a new discussion in this forum.

Deploying 3rd Party Software

I am trying to deploy a Third-Party Exe installer to every desktop, regardless if the previous version is installed or not. (It's McAfee Agent 4.8 if it matters.)

Overview of my current setup:

Prereq: when either ProcArch=x86 or ProcArch=x64

Command Line Install

I have the content on my network: download URL: \\Server\Package.exe

Yes, Use the Package Boot Helper

----Triggers client to server update after install

Include additional files with the package: packageboot.xml and packageboot.exe

Applicability Rules:  when either ProcArch=x86 or ProcArch=x64

Installed Rules:  when either ProcArch=x86 or ProcArch=x64

Any suggestions based on this information? Or is there a tutorial on how to create a third-party package that's deployed even if the software hasn't installed yet?

I've tried using the Update Management wizard to force the update even if it's already installed, and that has not worked yet either.

• You're not likely going to be able to deploy this to a *DESKTOP*, because the Windows Update Agent runs in the SYSTEM context, and as such does not have access to user folders. At best, you could use WSUS/WUA/PatchManager to deliver the installer to a SYSTEM location and then complete the process using a LOGON script that runs in the user's context.

But... why not just RUN the installer and install the product?

Ehhh.. I overread the statement. You simply meant that you're trying to deploy it to every computer.

I read "Desktop" a bit too literally... but the rest of the post still applies. emoticons_happy.png

Applicability Rules:  when either ProcArch=x86 or ProcArch=x64

Installed Rules:  when either ProcArch=x86 or ProcArch=x64

These are not really appropriate Applicability Rules (and they're redundant with the Prerequisite Rules, which is the proper place to define them),

and they're totally useless as Installed Rules -- in this package the Installed Ruleset always returns TRUE so nothing is going to happen.

My suggestion would be to build the correct rules and test with that.

Or is there a tutorial on how to create a third-party package

There are these and I would highly encourage you to watch both of these webcasts

Package Creation Fundamentals

Package Creation Using Patch Manager

Additional webcast, video, and training resources are available on the Patch Manager Library and Support page in Thwack.

• Why don't you use McAfee ePolicy Orchestrator to deploy/update the agents?  The whole point of the McAfee agent is to manage McAfee products installed on a system and to communicate back to the ePO server.   At least after you soak in all the data Lawrence linked you will have a good grasp on package creating.

• I would love to use ePolicy orchestrator. My company has restricted access to this tool and declined to use it for deployments.